Print

Author Topic: What's the worst videogame you've ever played?  (Read 103741 times)

« Reply #45 on: August 12, 2008, 01:14:32 PM »
So far that's the longest description of a new Sonic that I've seen.

I never quite understood the hatred (ok, IGN's hatred) over the Cruis'n USA series. Yeah, the Cruis'n racing games are shallow and I have a theory that you'd have to be an actual race car driver to ever get 1st place in any arcade racing game (either that or there's some hidden nitro function in the game I'm not aware of), but at least you could get 10, maybe 15 minutes of enjoyment out of racing around. And I liked a few of Cruis'n USA's songs, particularly the Redwood whatever track. All I'm trying to say is, IGN claims Cruis'n is one of the worst racing game series out there, but I don't think it's bottom of the barrel material. Archaic yes, I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole yeah, but not eye-gougingly bad.

I recently took a look at Rally Challenge 2000 for N64 again. Terrible game, but in that "so bad it's good" category. I like the pathetic announcer ("EA-sy right!!", "Caution!" when going over mud or a small bump, and the opening saying "3... 2... 1... GO! Go go go!" He actually says go go go!) and the surprisingly rockin' music when selecting cars in two-player mode.
You didn't say wot wot.

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2008, 01:57:38 PM »
I see you feel very stronly against Sonic glorb, with much hatred in your heart.  Why is this?
Probably likes Sonic games better than anyone else on the fungi forums.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2008, 02:16:19 PM »
Dude, my mom and I like Cruis'n World. Heck, it's pretty much the only thing I can get her to play (besides SMBDX for the GBC, but that's another story). Being able to do flips off ramps and sometimes the other cars is just fun. Cruis'n USA is rather lacking though and I've never played Cruis'n Exotica so I've got nothing else to say on the matter.
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #48 on: August 12, 2008, 02:42:41 PM »
I see you feel very stronly against Sonic glorb, with much hatred in your heart.  Why is this?

I feel strongly against current Sonic, as do lots of people. Sega feels that, to keep Sonic relevent, they need to add in guns and King Arthur and Arabian Nights and werewolves and gross hedgehog-human relationships and other crap to keep people interested. Obviously, it's not working. At the very least, if Sega's going to add all that, they should keep it in cutscenes only and never speak of it during gameplay. I mean, if you're racing through a giant collapsing castle, for example, who cares if Medieval Eggman built it as a secret lab to grow the werewolf virus? IT'S COLLAPSING ON YOU.
every

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #49 on: August 12, 2008, 03:43:11 PM »
I see.  I don't like when they make games that divert the attention from the story too.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2008, 05:46:17 PM »
You don't like Mario!?
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2008, 05:53:59 PM »
You don't like Super Mario Sunshine!?
fix'd
"it's always the present"

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #52 on: August 12, 2008, 05:55:21 PM »
Heh.  One of the few good fixes I've seen in a while.
Outside "Bork'd", anyway...
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #53 on: August 12, 2008, 06:37:14 PM »
There are so many bad games I've played.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #54 on: August 12, 2008, 06:53:39 PM »
I feel strongly against current Sonic, as do lots of people. Sega feels that, to keep Sonic relevent, they need to add in guns and King Arthur and Arabian Nights and werewolves and gross hedgehog-human relationships and other crap to keep people interested.
Sometimes I swear that the heads and employees of Sega and Sonic Team are all living inside some kind of The Truman Show-style dome, wherein all is as the real world, except there's no such thing as consumer feedback on Sonic games. Seriously, one of their people just now admitted in an interview that the last few Sonic games weren't that good.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2008, 06:23:45 AM »
I should correct myself.  I don't like when they make games that put the characters in "real world" instances.  Like Mario & Sonic Olimpic Games or Sonic and the secret rings (although I did think that game was pretty good).  Or games like the new Soul Calibur is it? Where they have the star wars characters in the game as well!  I like every single mario game I have ever played so far (except for strikers and olimpic games which actually wasn't just mario) whether or not it goes with the mario story but if they start putting mario in stuff like the lord of the rings books (just using that one) or sould calibur then I wont like it.  I wonder if this is a feeling glorb has aswell.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 06:30:10 AM by MushroomJunkie »

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2008, 01:43:09 PM »
As bizarre as SW in SC is, I think that it's handled pretty well, especially since they're playing it totally straight, as if it makes total sense to have Vader and Yoda fighting Tira and Ivy and that one gross dude wearing S&M gear. You have to admire that kind of ridiculousness.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2008, 10:25:49 PM »
How, exactly, was it decided that they would be in the games in the first place? "The series is stagnating... what should we do!? Oh, I know: STAR WARS!"

Actually, that's totally the solution to everything in life. Just throw in Darth Vader and you get instant pwnage.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #58 on: August 14, 2008, 01:12:37 PM »
How, exactly, was it decided that they would be in the games in the first place? "The series is stagnating... what should we do!? Oh, I know: STAR WARS!"

Actually, that's totally the solution to everything in life. Just throw in Darth Vader and you get instant pwnage.
Well, I myself wondered how Link got into a Soul Calibur game. I guess that's no longer strange since Mario characters made cameos in sports games that weren't their own, but given Smash Bros. popularity I expect Nintendo characters to stay in one fighting franchise. I wouldn't expect Link to appear in Mortal Kombat for instance. *imagines Link yelling and holding a severed head, fails*

I guess the other reason I find seeing Star Wars in different games odd is because of the odd license crossover. I expect Darth Vader in a Star Wars game, not Cooking Mama (that hasn't happened yet, but one day it will. "I find your lack of cooking talent disturbing."). Sometimes license crossovers work against all odds, like Final Fantasy and Disney in "Kingdom Hearts", but other times... just gives me the jibblies. Samus in Super Mario RPG is a cool cameo, but I wouldn't want to see her as an ally. For one reason, she'd blast away any boss immediately with a few well-placed Super Missiles.
You didn't say wot wot.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2008, 07:17:51 AM »
I wouldn't expect Link to appear in Mortal Kombat for instance. *imagines Link yelling and holding a severed head, fails*

Well... I'll bet you didn't expect to see Superman and Batman in Mortal Kombat, but look what happened there...

Print