Print

Author Topic: Left 4 Dead  (Read 36756 times)

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2008, 12:01:11 AM »
I'm finding L4D to have marvelous propensity for gameplay-created narrative. Three examples:

My very first time playing and it's on No Mercy. We get to the final wait for the chopper and I don't know what to expect. We battle off the hordes but things get to going badly just as the chopper's landing. I then realize I'm the only one still standing and madly run to the chopper, desperately meleeing zombies out of my way. I make it as the sole survivor and feel awesome. Then the "credits" start to roll and I see "In memory of" and I'm all, did someone at Valve die during making this or what? Then it scrolls up with the names of the other 3 players and I have a good lol.

It's the end of Death Toll and things are again going badly. One person's dead, one person's on the boat, I'm running across the dock nearly to the boat, and the last person's still on land. A couple steps away from safety, I turn around to see the straggler Zoey go down to a swarm of Infected, pistols still blasting in defiance. I'm low on health but I figure I should be able to manage a rescue since it's just some normal zombies. I run back to the incapped Zoey and promptly get my legs shot, downing me. The lone boatman sails off...

It's Chapter 4 of Death Toll, which always seems hard. Three of us are alive, all with 1 HP. We round a corner and see the safe house door. No zombies are in sight. Just as the dude in the lead gets to the door, a Tank hurtles out from the alley to the right, instantly killing him. The other survivor and I scream and run, but we both get knocked down. :(

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2008, 09:39:07 AM »
The boat sequence in Death Toll rewls. So there we were, fighting off the horde, one dude incapped, one bleeding out with around 60 health dropping fast, and the other two of us with less than 30 health. Just then, as one guy's helping up the incapped guy, a Tank shows up as the boat approaches. We make a mad dash to the boat, shooting like crazy. I saw a fuel canister by the boat. I shot it, and it exploded just as the dude playing as Francis jumped into the boat. So we sail away triumphantly, as the Tank collapses in flames, one meaty arm dangling off the edge of the pier.

I seriously wish L4D had a replay function.
every

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2008, 08:03:12 PM »
I just beat Dead Air with some dudes on advanced; everyone survived at the end. Over 2,000 zombies were harmed in the making of the film and I got the most with 770, also I nailed the most Hunters and Smokers. Tonight I am truly a man.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2008, 07:10:43 PM »
I was thinking about getting Left 4 Dead just because basically anything with zombies is good, but after seeing videos of it, the gameplay looked a little repetitive.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2008, 01:12:00 AM »
It can be, but since each run is randomly generated, and since it's possible to be killed by regular zombies if you act like a weiner and run away from your group, teamwork is the main factor.
every

« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2008, 01:24:21 AM »
What it really feels like is doing an MMO instance run, except with fun FPS gameplay instead of boring RPG gameplay. And best of all, people can't memorize and plan each step of the run. A great improvement!

TEM

« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2008, 01:54:52 PM »
Has anyone played Versus much?

I love it and it's a good substitute for a campaign if you don't have an hour and a half of free time (though, the game could run this long if both teams suck at being zombie bosses). My favorite zombie boss is definitely the Smoker. It's so satisfying to snag a survivor from maximum distance when they are trying to get rid of Hunters or fight a Boomer-vomit-summoned horde; even better if it is all happening at once due to great zombie teamwork and execution.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2008, 02:25:09 PM »
I have yet to play versus for...some reason. If I have a choice I'll try being a Hunter or Smoker first. Judging from single-player, Boomers look like ridiculously brittle and easy-to-hit targets.
every

TEM

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2008, 05:04:46 PM »
A lot of great tips for playing as the Infected here: http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=761708
Focuses on being the Boomer.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2008, 12:15:45 AM »
I hated playing as the Infected until I realized I was basically an infinitely reincarnating suicide bomber with changing abilities.
every

« Reply #25 on: December 05, 2008, 04:16:26 AM »
Today I played with this guy named MEATWAD42016. He was hilariously awesome and right when I joined the lobby he was telling how his roommate had just lit a bong off a lamp. We played and had a good fun run of Blood Harvest - Normal, with all 4 people chatting jovially along the way. Everyone stayed for the next match and we did Dead Air - Easy where I got Akimbo Assassin and Unbreakable at the same time.

Another cool thing about MEATWAD42016 is that he never pays for Gold and lives completely off of 2-day trial codes that people he meets in games send him. I'll be sending him my 2 from L4D and Gears 2 and he got a third one from another member of our group. Hilarious.

And a general thing I am growing to love in L4D is all the convoluted schemes people have for trying to get Cr0wnd and they never work. It's the modern-day hiccup remedy. "Yeah I hear I gotta run up shoot two shots from an auto shotgun then pistol the head after she stands up and is 'activated'."

I also love the people with horrendously complicated defense plans for alarms and finales. "Okay you crouch on this piano and cover windows 1, 3, and 4. You circle the house running backwards while the other two cover the west and north sides while he's not on that side. When the radio announces 3/4 fueling we will throw a series of bomb, Molotov, bomb at 5 second intervals..."

And then after about 10 seconds someone's dragged halfway back to the start on a Smoker tongue, someone's chasing that guy, piano guy is being mauled by a swarm and the planner is soloing a Tank.

TEM

« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2008, 09:53:21 AM »
While playing No Mercy on advanced there was a Witch near the water heater on the left, right before you get into the room with the generators. A guy with the auto shotgun very calmly and with no warning to the rest of us walked behind her as she started to stand because of the flashlights and blew her head off from behind getting the Crown'd achievement. I got splattered with Witch head gore and pooped.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2008, 02:28:37 PM »
A couple days ago I got Witch Hunter when a Witch spawned in front of a gatling gun emplacement (she went down in roughly one and a half seconds), and I've given up on Cr0wned since it's nearly impossible for me. Man vs. Tank doubly so (you'd think it'd just come down to molotoving him and then pumping him full of M16 clips, but you'd be wrong).
every

« Reply #28 on: December 05, 2008, 05:18:07 PM »
I think a better strat would be Molotov and then run and don't stop running until you hear the bleep bloop.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #29 on: December 05, 2008, 06:00:19 PM »
About half an hour ago I tried to do a run for Akimbo Assassin (Death Toll, Easy, single-player; yes, I realize this is the wimpiest way to do so and I apologize). I Inspector Tequila'd my way through the whole campaign, carefully avoiding picking up juicy, delicious primary weapons and savory, sweet thrown weapons. Apparently, though, the game counts fuel canisters and propane tanks as weapons (I know it applies to picking them up and placing them, though whether or not shooting them on the ground counts, I'm not sure), robbing me of my achievement.

GRR >:(

However, I got Toll Collector and No One Left Behind, so it's all good.
every

Print