Print

Author Topic: TMK Board Reform/"Down the Crapper" Prevention  (Read 15583 times)

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 06:05:59 PM »
I can't help but feel somewhat at fault for this decay, especially considering that
topics from being horribly derailed, spammed to death with unnecessary Google image search pictures, and/or turning into a let's-try-and-one-up-each-other-or-talk-crap-for-a-couple-pages fest
...all apply to my posts. Of course, blaming me for posting memes is like blaming the squirrel for having a bushy tail. But regardless, I am indeed guilty of perpetuating the bull[dukar] tangents of prominent members.

Back to reform, just be mindful that your perception of how the forum has changed may differ vastly from how it has actually changed. This sounds as though many of you are in the "those were the days..." mindset: Much like old people do, you complain about how much better life was fifty years ago. Meanwhile, the old people fifty years ago longed for the carefree days of the 1900s, and so on. People have a tendency to hold in high regard the things they can't have, with the past being no exception.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2009, 06:08:31 PM »
No, we don't need gratuitous censorship to deal with these problems. That's the last thing anyone wants after those events back in 2003 that drove off a number of members.

Like I said, people should just show some restraint. There doesn't need to be a chain of reaction images ine very thread.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 06:36:20 PM »
However, I'm not crying over it or complaining about the old days being gone. (I'm complaining about stupid crap happening now). I'm just explaining my opinion and wanting feedback on it.
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2009, 08:21:15 PM »
I liked Sapphira's moderation. She put up with a person's BS for about 2 or 3 replies then got rid of them as far as I remember.

Why are you in favor of Sapphira's moderation? She bans people if they cuss or speak out against Christianity. She'd probably ban Insane Steve if she had the chance. She did it to fuzzy.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2009, 08:27:58 PM »
Trainman, could you provide us with a solitary example of a forum which isn't heading in the same direction as ours? A board composed of barely thirty active members can't hope to swim against the flow that the surrounding online collective is stirring up.

« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2009, 09:53:03 PM »
I think the overall concept of "message board" is dying in favor of blogs and social networking, much like how technologies such as e-mail and AIM have lost popularity and how MySpace has lost ground to Facebook and Twitter. Blog comments, Facebook groups, and tweets have become the new means of communication for many people, especially because Facebook groups can often be better advertised than, say, a message board hidden on a website of a sports team under some submenu or a forum available through the click of a button on a side menu on an unofficial site for a video game franchise.

Five years ago message boards were insanely popular, having replaced their predecessors (bulletin boards) and offering a better communications alternative to the rarely-read e-mail or the "answer me now" nature of AIM. I am also on the official Pittsburgh Pirates message board and have been for six years. However, I'm rarely there anymore because most of the discussions are either a) people making fun of each other and not about baseball or b) something that begins as a baseball-related conversation that quickly goes south. Most of the posters who had so much insight when I was there more often have disappeared and all of the discussions seem to say something like "I hate the ownership of the Pirates" instead of saying "well, the owners may have decided to dump the contract of Player A, but Player B, who we got in return, may be an improvement here or a step back here for these reasons". Also, the board has little "cliques" anymore and has no real moderation. It's a shame, since it was once a great place to talk about baseball. Now, if I want to talk about Pirates baseball, I typically use the Facebook groups or Pirates application or I reply to comments left by the various bloggers who write about the team. Sometimes I've found the best way to talk about the team is to (gasp) talk to my fellow fans in person!!!

However, this board is different. Baseball fans are a dime a dozen. I'm sure many of you reading this have a baseball team you follow and discuss with other fans, either in person or online. Super Mario video games are a different story than baseball. Yes, nearly everyone has played a Mario game at some point, but not everyone wants to discuss strategies about them, speculate on the origins of Wario, contemplate the relationship between Luigi and Peach, review the two ways to get the sixth star in Tall Tall Mountain in SM64, etc. This is one of those "limited interest groups" that can really only exist online because the odds of running into someone interested in Mario as much as we are in your city are a lot slimmer than finding a fellow baseball fan. (Even if you root for an out-of-town team, it's easier to find someone who knows what you're talking about unless that team is a big rival).

The lack of moderation is what seemingly killed the Pirates message board. Even now I don't think they have a moderator and the longtime members who remain from before the board went sour have joined in the madness of cliquery and whatnot. (If "cliquery" wasn't a word when I typed it, it is now--ask a linguistics professor and they'll tell you what I did was legal). Also, the longtime members who were not moderators served an important role in regulating the board. They provided positive role models for the newer members to follow and didn't go around posting spam links, etc.

However, some moderation was too harsh on that board. There was a time when it was difficult to talk about shortstops, believe it or not, due to an intolerable moderation technique. Here's what was once an illegal sentence:

The Pirates had a SS named Dick Groat in 1960, who compared favorably to Jack Wilson and Jay Bell.

If we wanted to talk about Groat and use his first name, we had to substitute an "!" for the "i" because the software thought we were saying a dirty word. Also, we would have to type out the word "shortstop" since they thought that "a" went with it despite the space in there. This is an example of why too much moderation is a bad thing. (At one point some of us just had to say "that shortstop we had in 1960" or something of the like). In the end, running a board is just as bad as running a country!!!

I may be a newer member here, but after seeing a great board fall I don't want to see this happen in another community. I came here to talk Mario (my favorite video game franchise of all time) and want to make sure that will happen. I'll be happy to chip in any way I can to make this board a better place.

« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2009, 09:55:15 PM »
then that picture PaperLuigi posted just to be an idiot would've probably gotten him banned

Don't get your panties in a tightwad dude. I was just having a little fun.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2009, 10:00:36 PM »
Girls just wanna have fun, after all.

Pgh: That's exactly what we'd like to hear. You're really onto something with the concept of blogs and Tweets and whatnot overtaking forums: Social-networking communication is even more "conversational" than how we communicate here, and thus, seemingly, anyone who communicates on Facebook gradually becomes less capable of making well-written posts elsewhere. As another example, I always have a tougher time pulling more-complex terms out from the depths of my mind after having been on #TMK, as its spontaniety restricts conversation to quick jolts of text.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2009, 06:01:07 AM »
Evidently you haven't seen me rambling on incessantly in there. There's a reason my custom title is "Paid by the word," you know.

PghPens is continuing to show that he's possibly the best new member these forums have gotten in quite some time, but I have to disagree with some of the stuff he's saying. Yes, many message boards are fading into oblivion as Web 2.0 applications supplant them. But old tech dies hard - look at IRC, which has been around for like two decades now. Message boards as a whole aren't in any danger. They die because of the reasons you gave for that Pirates forum falling apart (lack of moderation and "cliquery," which this place definitely suffers from) and because of lack of interest, not because of new tech.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2009, 07:08:10 AM »
Name these "one or two mods" with a sense of entitlement. (Hint: When you've been here for a decade, you too can for the most part do whatever the hell you want, especially if you're a mod.) Name the users who think they're funny but aren't. (Hint: If they're who I'm thinking of, all but one of them actually are.)
I would, but you suffixed each of your challenges with a reason why every possible answer would be wrong.

Also, just for the purposes of comparison, etc., could someone provide a link or two to the kind of thread that incited this topic? I certainly don't doubt their existence, but I think it would help the argument in general.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2009, 07:53:23 AM »
http://themushroomkingdom.net/board/index.php?topic=12539.0

Topics so far:

- Me thinking Waluigi is useless.
- A Mario game starring Mario's father.
- Me thinking they should ban the act of keeping adults faces hidden in cartoons.
- People blaming Charles Shultz, Bill Shultz and Ed Shultz (whoever that is).
- Me saying that adults in Peanuts cartoons were eventually given faces and voices.
- Me liking Mario is Missing (a bad game) but hating WarioWare (a good game).
- A picture from Super Paper Mario
- I thought Smooth Moves used the Wii Balance Board.
- Two words a post.
- listing the different subjects that have been discussed here
- Comparing Pokemon to Final Fantasy IV for no reason
- Chup insulting Mother

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2009, 01:01:55 PM »
Haha, I just realized he said that I insulted Mother. And obviously I didn't.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2009, 04:25:23 PM »
See, that's a case where (as I believe I stated on the thread itself) the original topic was collectively regarded as so frivilous that rapid, multifarious straying from the topic was probably inevitable. I mean, if Tv_Themes had phrased the title differently...
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2009, 10:56:13 PM »
This is precisely what happens on the Pittsburgh Pirates board. Someone will start a discussion about, say, Andy LaRoche going 5-5 in Monday's win. After a few on-topic posts that may relate to it (the types of pitches he saw, adjustments that may have been made to his swing, where he's batting in the order, etc) there will be some random post that will cause the thread to go off on a tangent. Pretty soon Andy LaRoche is the last person anyone is talking about and the subjects being discussed have nothing to do with him, third basemen, the Pirates, or even baseball.

Forest Guy

• Anything else?
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2009, 10:04:26 PM »
There are many forums which haven't fallen into disarray. Just because you haven't been to them doesn't mean they dont exist. For example, check out swayforum.com to see a small community type of message board which hasn't degenerated into a deviant [dukar]storm of memes and flaming.

While I can somewhat agree with Trainman here, I also have to take into account the only times I thought this forum was great was when I was about 15 years old, and back when I was 15 years old I was a loser and an imbecile. So either the forum truly has degraded, or it's always been like this and I just hadn't noticed until the last couple of years when I was old enough to realize it was bad.

Also, I think it'd be funny if this message board was closed.
= = = = = = =
Agender, curry fan, Top 10 lister, indie dev, gym hitter, musician, et al.

Print