Print

Author Topic: is mario offensive?  (Read 10223 times)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2006, 11:25:52 PM »
Seriously. THINK BEFORE YOU POST NEW TOPICS. Think: What if Mario had an American accent? Would any American CARE? I know I wouldn't. Not to mention he's not just a pasta-eating Italian, but he's a princess-rescuing world-saving Italian. Heck, I'd feel pretty good about Mario if I were Italian.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2006, 10:06:25 AM »
No hes not offensive I agree with Bird Person I think that If mario is a stereotype that it would a good one not a bad one. But hes not a stereotype.
SSBB theme lyrics: I'll be the Marth, Luigi noob, This is Yoshi's B, This monkey wants to hug him. I'll heat the duck, Uigi noob, pooped through the dress this monkey wears to work.

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2006, 04:09:00 PM »
The only thing Mario ever does Italian (in games) is speak with an accent and dream about pasta. But he was actually born in the Mushroom Kingdom so he's not Italian at all. Therefore, you couldn't bust Nintendo for any sort of portrayal of Italians because Mario's not from Italy.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2006, 04:12:45 PM »
Wrong LD. Mario was not born in the mushroom kingdom. At least in some storylines. He is actually from brooklyn, and that might make him from Italian Descent.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2006, 06:26:50 PM »
Umm... I'm going to take LD's side on this one....
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2006, 07:28:42 PM »
He's Italian-Mushroomian. An Italian born in the Mushroom Kingdom. Just like I'm Italian-American. An Italian born in America.

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2006, 09:43:47 PM »
Wrong LD. Mario was not born in the mushroom kingdom. At least in some storylines. He is actually from brooklyn, and that might make him from Italian Descent.

Um, dude, not all people from Brooklyn are Italian. He did not come from there, either. The storyline of the cartoons is NOT the same as the storyline of the video games.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2006, 11:14:54 PM »
Wow, I guess my poor little excuse for people hating Mario (which I didn't even really agree with at all) has caused Rubber Ducky here to make yet another horrible topic. Hate to be a negative Nancy here, but am I the only one here who thinks Rubber Ducky should be banned from making topics for awhile?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2006, 11:20:29 PM by CreamCat »

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2006, 11:50:03 PM »
Not at all.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2006, 08:51:50 AM »
I agree with Cream Cat I make better topics and mine are'nt very good either from what I have heard.
SSBB theme lyrics: I'll be the Marth, Luigi noob, This is Yoshi's B, This monkey wants to hug him. I'll heat the duck, Uigi noob, pooped through the dress this monkey wears to work.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2006, 12:55:05 PM »
I initially thought that you and rubberducky were the same person, neotev. No offence.

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2006, 01:12:14 PM »
nope I'm a totally different person I would'nt ever make a topic about whither or not Mario is offensive or not. Because I know that Mario is not an offensive character. And if he is (which hes not) Then there are alot more offensive characters out there.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2006, 01:15:02 PM »
Yeah, like CJ from Grand theft auto. He said the "f" word like, every other word.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2006, 01:24:15 PM »
Well, I think Mario is actually a parody of the standard Italian stereotype, rather than a stereotype himself, similar to how Duke Nukem is a parody of the stereotypical action hero tough guy, rather than one meant to be taken seriously. I think that if Mario's powerups were pizzas and he had Mafia connections, then it would be less inoffensively cartoonish and actually offensive.

There, case closed. He's a stereotype parody, not an actual stereotype.
every

« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2006, 08:20:44 PM »
Yeah, actually that sounds about right. Stereotype parody.

Mario decidedly was born in the Mushroom Kingdom. If you disagree, then you are rejecting Yoshi's Island, one of the most prominent Mario games, as not canon.
GEIANDGIRLCO DIRECT - The Sensitive Alternative

Print