Print

Author Topic: Decoratin' the Tree  (Read 19276 times)

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« on: December 10, 2005, 01:08:27 PM »
For those of you who celebrate Christmas, and assuming you get/have a tree, how do you decorate your Christmas tree? Anything else interesting about your tree? How do you decorate anything else in or outside your house? Pictures could be cool, as well, if you guys want.

As for me, we have a traditional/standard-looking plastic tree--about the height of the room.
As for decorations....
-Variety-colored tiny lights. They can flicker if set to be that way.
-Red ribbon tied into bows (do NOT go there, LD! I didn't say gift bows!)
-Candy canes
-Tons of ornaments of all different, unique kinds
-Red beaded garland
-Precious Moments angel at the top

At the base of the tree is a circular red cloth (could be blue now; my mom may have made a new one, but I can't remember, and we're not done decorating, so...). We used to have three "Christmas bears" underneath the tree, but now we have a ceramic/glass nativity which family friends of ours gave us.

We have all kinds of other decorations around the house, which would take forever to tell about, so, um...yeah.
Outside, we used to have plain white bulbs hanging from the roof (boring, but better than nothing), but ever since we've moved, we haven't done that. ;_; We have a wreath on the outside of the front door, and a bow with jingly bells hanging on the inside doorknob. Lately we've hung wreaths outside all the front windows. In the front lawn, we have a simple plastic lit nativity of Mary, Joseph, and baby Jesus lying in a manger. We used to put white mini-lights around the bushes.

I think that's all for me. I might post a picture(s) later, once we have stuff done.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 01:23:17 PM »
Ha, I was thinking about making a thread just like this! We have garlands, some net lights out in the yard, and most importantly, the tree. They say pictures are worth a thousand words, so I think I'll take advantage of it.

Oh, and I lied about the net lights being up. They're still waiting.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2005, 01:32:31 PM by Suffix »

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2005, 01:24:51 PM »
I think we're getting a new tree this year. Stupid cat last year...
I'll put pictures. Later.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2005, 01:32:53 PM »
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2005, 02:03:38 PM »
I still have that dodecahedron net.

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2005, 03:39:43 PM »
Well, I still have that picture of me at 5 years old, standing by an old Christmas tree, holding up one of my presents. I'll link to it a bit later.

We've had two christmas trees so far. The first Christmas tree we used was very fake, and was given to us by an old relative. The branches came in different pieces and it'd take mom (the only one who cares about decorating the house in Christmas stuff) at least a day to put it together as well as decorate it. She doesn't like colorful lights, but we always told her we liked them more than normal lights. We used to use a ton of decorated glass balls as decorations, but we stopped using them and started putting up crafts mom made on the tree instead. Mom always put an angel on top instead of a star, which I always protested against because I think stars look nicer than the angels she always put up.

We threw away that old tree a few years ago. We now have a pre-lit tree that doesn't take long to decorate. This year there is a large red ribbon hanging down from the top of the tree (No angel, no star). No colorful lights, just white ones with pictures of all of us inside of ornaments.

Outside, we have a mirror ball that's turned on every night, and from inside the house it looks like it's snowing outside. No religious decorations (Sorry, Sapph. :P)

Now, that picture: http://hometown.aol.com/vidgmchtr/myhomepage/5yearoldvid.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2005, 04:15:38 PM »
My tree looks different every year. It's fake or real alternately.
This year's tree:

Edit: I was getting redundant.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2005, 05:48:25 PM by TEM »

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2005, 04:46:43 PM »
Who ever said you couldn't fit a family in a tree was wrong .........
(edit) I won't be having a tree up, but we will have dinner and all that good stuff.
I'm a horrible person.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2005, 05:15:17 PM »
My sister thinks smelly garlic would be a good ornament. Personally, I think those things with the stuff on them would be good.
every

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2005, 05:18:17 PM »
I just do the regular plus. Garlic, ordinary ornaments, and this year I'll have turtles!!!!!!!!!!! Is this a good turtle? (^.^)
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2005, 06:04:27 PM »
Every year, my sister and I would get 1 new ornament to put on the tree, along with all the previous years and red bulbs.  Last year, we got the ornaments, but instead of put all the decorations, I helped my father do a really nice job of having red ribbons down the tree, with a few colored lights.  Then we have an old ceramic Santa by the base

We don't do much around the rest of the house, except my mother just HAS to put bells on all the doors.  It gets really annoying on Christmas Eve.  We always have a party for family, and everytime people arrive, there is the obnoxious jangle of 15 large bells banging around.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2005, 07:30:31 PM »
When I first started to scroll down to TEM's pic I thought his house was on fire.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2005, 07:39:07 PM »
I just watched a famous, somewhat old movie called A Christmas Story for the first time. About two-thirds into it, I thought of making a topic called "Let's See Your Tree," where we could post pics of our Christmas trees. Looks like Sapphira basically beat me to it, though. :::P (Might I get an alien smiley for that?)

Assuming I remember, I'll take a picture of our tree sometime after I get home and after we have a tree of which to take a picture.

Speaking of burning houses and trees . . .
Note: The linked video shows a fire department test that demonstrates how little time it takes for a burning, indoor tree to consume a room in smoke and flame.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2005, 10:09:52 PM by Watoad »
The weaker you are, the stronger you can become.

Watoad

• Self-evictor
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2005, 07:41:40 PM »
Oh, so that's how it works, huh? (I'm referring to the Subject line.) Sorry, slow learner here.
The weaker you are, the stronger you can become.

« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2005, 09:19:19 PM »
This year we got a new tree. It's pre-decorated, but we're stubborn rednecks so we decorated it anyway.
"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."

Print