Print

Author Topic: Awesome idea  (Read 2237 times)

Glorb

• Banned
« on: June 25, 2007, 02:30:28 PM »
Okay, I know, I probably shouldn't be starting a new thread for this, but this is just such a great idea for a game that I can't keep it pent up inside me.

Okay, here's the idea: The game is set in the very near future, say, 2008 or 2009. In Carver City, a city similar to New York and other major cities, a series of massive, devastating earthquakes cause thousands to go missing or dead. Within a day, heavy rain causes the weakened coastal areas to begin sinking, causing floods and occasional landslides. And, even worse, strange, lanky, humanoid creatures resembling popular depictions of "mole people" begin emerging from the rubble at night, attacking any nearby people. The player, as one of the survivors, must get to the evacuation center on the other side of Carver City.
The game has a free-roaming structure like Dead Rising, where you run missions, collect supplies, and survive dangerous disaster scenarios during the day and must fend off the creatures at night. You can also barricade buildings and create new items by pulling apart and combining old ones. You can, say, take apart the stock of a shotgun and combine it with some gauze to make a leg splint, or duct-tape a flashlight to the barrel of a gun.
Along the way to the evac site you can choose to rescue people from various situations; doing so will net you experience, new items, and other rewards, as will surviving events like earthquakes, aftershocks, building collapses, and so on.

Anyway, enough rambling. Obviously, this game is way too ambitious for me to make, but I've written down the ideas so that, if I ever become a professional game designer, I'll definately make this game.
every

« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2007, 04:10:03 PM »
There's a game a LOT like this, but the name is escaping me right now. I think my friends actually had an import version and I don't know if it even ever made the US. You could collect tons of different clothes and customize paint jobs on boats or something.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2007, 06:15:09 PM »
Didn't you make a regular game idea thread, Glorb? Because now ideas are running though my head...

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2007, 07:05:23 AM »
Yeah, I remember reading about a game very similar to what you just described. I think it might have been released in the US, but it either didn't sell well or wasn't a very good game...

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2007, 02:45:36 PM »
Disaster Report? Yeah, I remember that...it was basically Resident Evil with natural disasters; you could make a raft and customize the paint job on it. I think I have it in my house somewhere; if I remember, it was a pretty good game. After I posted this I wondered if people would think this was a ripoff, but really, writing this reminded me of that game (not the other way around). I should've checked before I posted this.
every

« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2007, 05:08:21 PM »
There's also another game similar to that idea, too. It's called Disaster: Day of Crisis and it's currently in development for the Wii, with the same basic concept (surviving in a city torn apart by natural disasters). I like the Mole man emerging from the ground idea, though. Could you eventually go to the mole man's underground city, too? It could act as a whole new overworld.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2007, 11:58:25 AM »
Ooh, cool. That would make a great light/dark world dynamic; maybe one of the final missions would involve blocking/destroying the mole peoples' cities to prevent them from taking over the world.
every

Print