Print

Author Topic: Need help (making game)  (Read 8247 times)

megamush

• Infinite member error
« on: May 14, 2008, 02:54:43 PM »
I'm trying to make a game using using game maker, this is my first time making a game. Are there any tips you could give me?
What ever you do don't press Ctrl-W

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2008, 03:00:18 PM »
What kind of game?
What kind of physics?

As for a non-specific tip, go to http://www.yoyogames.com and download all their Game Maker tutorials, or at least the first two.  There are also tutorials for many different genres.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2008, 03:54:03 PM »
Also when you do use the tutorials, do NOT make a game by changing the sprites from the tutorial and making levels from that.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2008, 05:30:42 PM »
Hints:

1) Make sure the player spends more time playing minigames than the real game.
2) Add a secks scene.
every

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2008, 05:37:24 PM »
^ POTY?
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2008, 05:52:07 PM »
^ POTTY.

(Please omit this trivial yakkity-yak)
« Last Edit: May 14, 2008, 05:56:55 PM by Suffix »

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2008, 12:29:04 PM »
Also when you do use the tutorials, do NOT make a game by changing the sprites from the tutorial and making levels from that.

YES.  Follow those instructions.  I've seen far too many Game Maker games that have changed only the character sprites and designed new levels using the pre-made tiles.

Out of curiosity, are you going to make a Mario fan-game?

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2008, 03:47:37 PM »
I'm trying to make a game using using game maker, this is my first time making a game. Are there any tips you could give me?

Send me a message with the specifics, I've been using it for years. (No kidding)

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2008, 05:15:07 PM »
Maybe we should collaborate towards a Mario Fan game.  I've been using it since version 5.

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2008, 07:21:46 PM »
I am planning on making a 2-D old-school mario platformer, but I was planning on making some twists to the game. I don't exactly know what I could do to change it, any suggestions?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2008, 07:24:46 PM by megamush »
What ever you do don't press Ctrl-W

« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2008, 08:46:15 PM »
How about... Mario shoots lasers!
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2008, 11:57:02 PM »
What a coincedence, I'm in a class that dived headfirst into GameMaker 7. So I have experience with that. But my first attempt at a platformer failed miserably, with the character floating on air half the time.

So hey, if you need help on the basics of GameMaker, I can help you out as well. Still, going through tutorials and re-creating basic programming concepts (preventing an object from moving off the screen, using a loop for drawing an object over and over, approximate collision detection using the distance between the centers of two objects and checking against the sums of the radii of two imaginary circles around the objects) is a good start to learning GameMaker. Oh, and pick up "The GameMaker's Apprentice" from some bookstore, that's a huge help.
You didn't say wot wot.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 11:15:44 AM »
I am planning on making a 2-D old-school mario platformer, but I was planning on making some twists to the game. I don't exactly know what I could do to change it, any suggestions?

-Make it like SMG only in 2D (flip the gravity periodically).

-Roller-Skate suit for Mario (he would move smoothly along terrain similarly to Sonic).

-Have sideways pirahna plants for sideways pipes

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 04:09:31 PM »
-have him shoot lasers
Gently push a piece of the tube containing the intersection along the fourth dimension, out of the original three dimensional space.
- WIkipedia page on the Klein bottle

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 05:21:05 PM »
Twists, eh? Okay.

- A level or two that significantly changes the play style before going back to the normal style
- Mario's melee attacks from SM64 (why don't those appear in 2D games more often?)
- Other improved moves from the 3D games (butt stomp, etc.)
- Maybe RPG elements or whatever
- A save game system (this is a must)
every

Print