Print

Author Topic: Super Smash Brothers 2  (Read 12573 times)

« on: May 04, 2001, 07:45:03 AM »
This Is From http://cube.ign.com

A Smashing E3

Nintendo to unveil its GameCube Super Smash Bros. 2 at the Electronics Entertainment Expo.

April 30, 2001

Leaks at Nintendo of America have verified that the company will officially unveil the HAL-developed GameCube sequel Super Smash Bros. 2 at the forthcoming Electronics Entertainment Expo in Los Angeles, California. The game is scheduled to be on display at Nintendo's booth in playable form, according to sources.
Super Smash Bros., Nintendo 64's best fighter, stars all sorts of major Nintendo mascots including Link, Samus, Mario and Kirby, and pits them in battle across a series of polygonal levels. Despite using polygons, the game's mechanics simulate those of a traditional 2D fighter. The title's fast fights and intuitive control scored it an 8.5 out of 10 and an IGN.com Editors' Choice Award.

The news is especially well received as it's a final validation that a long rumored Super Smash Bros. sequel for GameCube is indeed underway, and that the game is much further along than anyone could have previously suspected.

Unfortunately, we have been unable to discover details about the title, but we anticipate that it will literally be an extension of the Nintendo 64 offering, with probably more characters and arenas, as well as hugely improved visuals that more adequately represent the power of Nintendo's next-generation console. Developer HAL Laboratories may, in fact, have even upped the ante to allow for full freedom of movement in 3D this time around.

Full details will be known in little more than two weeks. In the meantime, you can safely assume this one will launch with the GameCube in the US this November.

Cant Wait!!

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2001, 10:10:19 AM »
Thtat is so cool! Super SMASH Bros. 2 is finally coming out! Only one question, why isn't it for the N64? The N64 is still alive and kickin', so why not release it for the N64?

Sega and Nintendo both rule!

It is I, the great Mario Maniac!
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2001, 10:50:37 AM »
Hmm Its Gonna Be One Of The First Gamecube Games I Dont Know. n64 or gamecube i dont care i cant wait

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2001, 02:53:25 PM »
I told you "Super Smash Bros. 2" was coming out!  You all said I was crazy, that it was just a re-release of the original.  Now who's crazy?  : )

Lee "Mega 2" Sherman

Sneaky Lying Cheating Giant Ninja Koopa.
Mega 2
Cybernetic Abiogenesis Project

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2001, 07:59:43 AM »
I Didnt Say U Was Crazy I Knew They Would Make It Soon And I Still Cant Wait For It

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2001, 03:35:36 PM »
Ah come on Mario Maniac, it's not still THAT live and kicking. Most people I know have sold them off to pay for either current consoles, or to get a bit of cash in the kitty for the GBA and GC.

Plus, many shops have slowed or stopped stocking anything but the latest games on the N64 (of which there are about 2), and game production for it has almost stopped entirely.

Which means that SSB2 will be a welcome GC release. This must mean it'll be one of the release titles. Oooh! I hope there are positively LOADS of characters ^_^

Pocket Monster Island - http://fryguy64.tripod.com
TMK''s newest affiliate
Webmaster
nindb.classicgaming.gamespy.com - Nintendo Database

Andrevan

• Plumber's Apprentice
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2001, 03:48:39 PM »
I have a feeling that SSB 2 will be more Mario and Pokémon based than SSB 1...

--Andrevan
~The Nintendo King~
Andrevan@aol.com

Andrevan

• Plumber's Apprentice
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2001, 03:48:40 PM »
Ergh, double post...Delete this.

--Andrevan
~The Nintendo King~
Andrevan@aol.com

Edited by - Andrevan1 on 5/5/2001 2:55:56 PM

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2001, 10:26:20 PM »
We will know in a few hours. Of course, by the time you read this, E3 would have probably come and gone. Still, woo-hoo! Smash Bros. 2! I still think there's no chance of Pit from Kid Icarus making it into the game, though.

It''s hard to save the world when you''re a penguin in wizard clothing.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2001, 09:40:19 PM »
Actually, Penguinwizard, you might be wrong.  Go to the Nintendo website and they describe Smash Brothers Melee as having characters from vintage NES days, like the cult figure Ice Climber... you know, the little eskimo dude with the hammer?  And if HE makes it in, guys like Pit actually stand a chance.

Incidently, I read at the GIA that the demo wowed audiences with new playable characters like Bowser and Shiek from Zelda: Ocarina of Time.  Bowser!  Shiek!  And Shiek is Zelda!  We can finally play as Princess Zelda (although she will look like a boy...)

While I'm at it, I would like to see Peach, Wario, Joanna Dark, Banjo, and King Hippo from Punch-Out thrown into the mix as well...

Edited by - The Biggest Boo on 5/16/2001 8:41:44 PM
Thank you for saving us but our princess is in another castle!

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2001, 09:43:31 PM »
It's REALLY hard to believe any of that. Can you tell me where you found this GIA thing? What's the website?

Peaceful penguins, demented dragons and growling griffins, oh my.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2001, 10:18:30 PM »
Okay, I believe you.

But so far, we don't know of any new characters except Zelda and some others.

btw, i'm kinda disappointed with the new StarFox GameCube news. The only Star-Foxy thing we've heard from them is that Fox will be in it. So what happened to Peppy and Falco?! (note how I didn't include Slippy, hehe). Is Nintendo once again gonna forget Fara? If they even forget Falco, why I'll just explode!

You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2001, 09:11:46 AM »
What's Confirmed So Far:

Super Smash Bros. Melee (as it will be called) WILL launch with GameCube.

All the regular characters are back, like Ness.

Gradual gray shading effect for percentages gone :(

It's just weird for me how Bowser has the Mushroom Kingdom as an icon.

Footage of Ice Climber perhaps overused in the game footage seen at IGN.com

New Characters Confirmed:

Zelda (or Sheik, or both)
Bowser (!)
Ice Climber
Peach (NOOO!!!)

New Characters I Hope To See:

Pit from Kid Icarus
Fara Phoenix (or Falco Lombardi)
Any other EarthBound character
Wario or Waluigi

btw, I saw the new looks of the characters. EXCELLENT!!! And we finally get to see Yoshi's grand new look on the GameCube! I'm so happy! I can't wait!

We also got to see Ness's GameCube look as well as Bowser's new look. He does look like Bowser, but now he looks SO much different than what we're used to. Go to IGN.com to see what I mean.

You didn't say wot wot.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2001, 10:03:35 AM »
GAMECUBE! Yippee! I can't wait! Super Smash Bros. 2, I can't wait!

Anyway, Super Smash Bros,. 2 will include the following characters -

Mario
Luigi
Kirby
Pikachu
Ness
Link
Donkey Kong
Fox McCloud
Jigglypuff
Captain Falcon
Bowser
Peach
Samus
Ice Climber (who is that?)
and more...

FOR MORE INFORMATION...
Go to nintendo.com, click on the E3 icon on the lower-right corner of the screen to go to the E3/Nintnedo GAMECUBE site. There, you will see video clips and screenshots of all (that's right, ALL) the new GAMECUBE games!

Is that cool or what!

Also, Luigi's Mansion is definately going to be a new GAMECUBE game! The point of the game (from the screenshots I saw) is simple...

Luigi goes to a mansion to relax, but finds that it's inhabited by ghosts! What you must do is go around the mansion and kill the ghosts in the style of Ghostbusters - You shine your flashlight at the ghosts and they disappear for a second, then you need to suck them up with a vacuum hose. Pretty cool isn't it?

People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2001, 10:20:55 AM »
Hey Penguinwizard, wasn't Fara Phoenix just a character from the Nintendo Power Star Fox comics?  The only female character I recall is Katt Munroe from Star Fox 64.... And by the way, I would bet money on Pit showing up in the new Smash Brothers.
Thank you for saving us but our princess is in another castle!

Print