Print

Author Topic: Oh, School...  (Read 6588 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« on: June 24, 2007, 09:49:31 AM »
Assuming you still go to school, what's it like? No, this isn't one of those "favorite classes" threads, or "Oh, no, school's started up again did yours?" threads. It's more like...is school set up like you want/expect? Do you have excessive problems with gangs, drugs and teenge pregnancies? Just want to gripe or praise the whole educational system in general? Go ahead, as long as you don't get caught posting this at school; It's probably blocked, anyway (hey, there's another thing to talk about!).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2007, 10:49:09 AM »
Aren't people out of school by now?
That was a joke.

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2007, 11:11:05 AM »
Yeah, at the end of June, hardly anyone is in school.

Many of the sites I frequent (this one, Kingdom of Loathing, some of the other forums I'm a member of) aren't blocked at my school. MySpace is definitely blocked, and I don't have access to the kind of downloads I did during my first year there (more than a gig of ROMs because they were in a format that the school's blocker didn't see...I still haven't played some of them, and probably never will), but other than that...

Oh, and I can use mIRC at school.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2007, 01:45:38 PM »
We just pwn everyone.

I use bpsurf.net to bypass the myspace/etc. filters. Back in my freshman year (I'll be a senior this year) they didn't block anything. Newgrounds, myspace, and everything was unblocked. Good times, good times.
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2007, 04:34:24 PM »
I go to a decent school with decent facilities and decent people. Basically, there's never much of a problem with anything.

Except for the fact that I usually run into very moronic people at least once a day. You know, the types that make you wonder why they even bother coming if they're not there to do anything productive. And the friends of my friends aren't people I can usually tolerate because they're just highly annoying in so many different ways.

Most of the sites I visit aren't blocked, but the filters can be very wacky when I try to go to YouTube.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 04:54:03 PM »
I'm not implying that people are in school now. Just... how was it before break? Post here year after year (I'll get my school critiques up later... boy, is there a lot) if you like.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 10:34:22 PM »
I got to a Catholic Private school, so I doubt many bad things happen as do at other schools.  However, in my Religion class, all juniors took an anonymous survey about sex and drugs, and apparently half the class has some involvement in drugs, while a very small fraction has commited sexual acts.  Which at first made me feel left out!  I mean, all this sex and drugs going around, and I'm being left out of all this!  Of course, I don't really want to be a part of that...

One problem I had this last year was my English class.  The teacher and I just didn't match.  That shouldn't matter, but he spent a very small amount of time teaching us English and instead spent most of the time either persuading us to take his view on random subjects he would just introduce, telling gruesome stories of his past, informing us of every problem in the world like terminal diseases and cases of rape, or just criticizing us all as though each student was exactly the same.  And he would do all this with pauses that were too long.  He would spend class periods talking in Spanish and Norwegian for no apparent reason except to prove he could.   I really thought he ought to see a therapist, because there never seemed to be a central point to what he talked about, except to get things off his chest.
One time he started class by having us analyze a poem by Ben Jonson(sp?), but as soon as we started, he spent forty-five minutes talking about how we would all grow up to be overweight and uncomfortable with ourselves.  And he was smiling as though he was counting on it.  It was so sickening that I had to raise my hand and start analyzing the poem, to the rest of the class's disappointment (because they don't care much for English, apparently).  So basically I stood up and started shouting the meaning of the poem for about five minutes, until I slowly lost blood sugar and sat back down as others continued the discussion of the poem's meaning.
It's true that I overreacted, and I don't give the teacher enough credit: he was a decent teacher when he set his mind to lecturing us about English, which happened at some point almost every period.  But really, he could've spent more time teaching English than relating random childhood experiences.  In the end I stopped expecting so much from him and learned to deal with his shenanigans by making some sarcastic comment to myself or vocalizing some joke to ease the tension in the room: he would get too far into some of his bleaker stories.  I probably should have accepted him the way he was than hoped for him to change.  After all, I control my own attitude more than anything else.  But it sure felt good to shout the meaning of a poem to the whole class.

Wow, that story is filled with so many hypocritical holes.  I ended up with an A- too, so I shouldn't complain.  Too late... 9_9  Anyway, he wasn't my favorite teacher, but I got through the class and probably learned something in the end.  Isn't that what's important?
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 10:39:41 PM »
You go to a Catholic school? Sweet! I wish I had the money to go to a Christian private school....

Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2007, 10:42:55 PM »
Yeah, it cost a lot, and all my older siblings are in college, so we've been moving to smaller houses each year to help with money.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 10:43:56 PM »
Yeah. We only have one income at the price of keeping my mother home.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 02:15:53 AM »
My high school is... okay. Some of the teachers are excellent, some are pretty evil. Some fellow students are excellent, a lot are pretty evil (and why is it always in P.E.?!). We don't have any lunch restrictions unless you have a bad record or something, meaning we can go anywhere and do or eat anything we want before time is up. I can't wait to drive... burgers and sub sandwiches, woo-hoo. I'll need a job for that, though, as Jack-In-The-Box and Subway are gonna cost me more than the grocery store did and $20 a week from my parents won't cover it so easily.
But we have a lot of gangs' graffiti (as well as the "Push button, receive bacon" joke in one of the bathrooms... just thought I'd brighten someone's day! I was only in there to dry a microscope slide for biology). NORTE! SUR! I wish they'd just... ugh. There's also a TON of dots on the sidewalks--gum. None of it's mine, I'm no litterbug. I throw my gum in the trash. But a lot of teachers allow gum chewing, yes. Some don't. I'm good enough to make any gum in my mouth inconspicuous, though. The pool is good, though--it was clean but the chlorine didn't make my eyes burn that badly.
I didn't only walk to the grocery store or small Mexican restaurant for lunch, though. Sometimes I stayed in one classroom... The member, Captain Jim, had his GameCube in the cupboard there (and I think he left his copy of SSBM there by accident... oops!). His mom's a teacher, and awesome, so we got to smash each other. Wish there were a way for more than four players to play, though. Turns were always taken fairly, of course... Well I guess it's just less controllers destroyed. The padding on two control sticks gone... Glad none of mine were there! :D
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 02:18:51 AM by Bird Person »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2007, 03:33:09 PM »
At my school some people could call it ok. Except I can't. There are at least 3 fights everyday, that includes fistfights, food fights, and verbal fights.

Some of the teachers were nice and others you have nightmares about. My math teacher was the worst, because she was 63 years old, had horrible frizzy hair, and you could practically see her bones. When she was doing percents she would call on the heaviest and the lightest people in the class and weigh them. Either she knew she was embarrassing them or she didn’t, but either way she was. If you raised your hand she would just wave at yo, then later if you said you didn’t understand she would ask you why you didn’t raise your hand. And if you answered something wrong, she would either throw something at you or hit you with her yardstick. Then at the end of class, before the bell rang, she would read you something from Grossoligy. And on the last day of school she kept you in the classroom for another 2 minutes because she wanted to tell the class who failed math. Now that’s just math but I don’t to bore you anymore, because I might get banned. :)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2007, 03:35:12 PM by skater-girl »
No Glorb, I think it was Chuck Norris.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2007, 04:43:03 PM »
Fights, we have. I'm sure lots of schools do. There are light, stupid fights, the ones around which everyone stands and tries to get a good look before the police get there (it happens! I was actually still playing my DS, I hope I wasn't in anyone's way...), swear wars (I am an unbreakable boulder of clean comments), and more. And you see them just walking to your next class--just keep your distance, don't say anything, take no notice.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2007, 09:00:56 PM »
When I got my DS, I was able to openly play it in science class, because I had my work for the day done within 20 minutes, and we never had homework. I also listened to my MP3 player during class.

I probably won't be able to do either of those this year...

« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2007, 09:35:57 PM »
I almost walked into a fight.

I was walking down the hallway reading The Catcher in the Rye (terrible book IMO), not looking up, just going where my feet knew to take me. When I looked up I saw a guy not a meter away from me about to throw a punch. Seeing people just standing there and not on the lunch lines (this was in the hallway containing the cafeterias and kitchen) confused me. I quickly walked backwards finally realizing a fight was going on. One of the participants of said fight took his shirt off, as if it was the perfect occasion to.

When I got to where I was going (the band room, I had a free period, and didn't feel like eating lunch yet), I told a few people about how I almost walked into two guys beating each other up.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Print