The butter knife.
1 (4.2%)
The steak/etc. knife.
2 (8.3%)
The chopsticks.
2 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 24

Print

Author Topic: Silverwar  (Read 7183 times)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« on: August 15, 2007, 10:11:18 PM »
The fork. Four fierce spears with which you can viciously stab your food, rendering it helpless. However, every once in a while, a pea or a noodle may escape the fork's power-hungry grasp. Is the fork right for you?

The spoon. Like a cupped hand, this gentle tool will aid you in scooping up soup too hot to touch, ice cream too frigid for your delicate fingers. But it's better to be feared than loved, and spaghetti is a common rebel of the spoon. Are you a friend to spoons?

The butter knife. Somewhere along the time line it was said that food ought to taste good, and enhancements to food were born. Butter, mayonnaise, peanut butter and others depend on this reliable utensil to carry out that duty. Although, the butter knife loses its purpose after it has made your food delicious. Is livening up your meal too much a hassle?

The steak knife. We've all been there--when you've a slab of meat too tough for your dull teeth to handle, the knife comes to the rescue. dividing the main course to little bits, this dangerous item will make your dinner much more convenient. Or, are you one of those wild people who tears their steak to pieces with their bare hands?

The chopsticks. Just throwing it out there. Say, how many of us know how to use a pair of chopsticks? I know how to hold them and use them, but I don't get far with them... but they're cool.

Don't request anything else, like spatulas or soup ladles. This is a poll about silverware used after you've got your plate.

My vote will have to go to the spoon. I could live without spaghetti, maybe.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 10:14:55 PM »
Knives. You can usually use them like a fork, and they are also useful for cutting.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 10:34:18 PM »
The spoon is the most versatile of all utensils. You can cut with it's edge and scoop. It makes a fork and knife seem stupid. The spoon is the ultimate.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 10:38:00 PM »
A spoon with a fairly sharp edge (be careful) is the ultimate. I voted spoon. Spoons can eat most things forks can but forks get destroyed by liquids and cereal. How are you supposed to eat Rice Krispies with a fork!?

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 10:43:27 PM »
The fork is superior.

The multiple narrow tipped prongs on the end of a fork make stabbing and penetration of an object just as easy as a knife. The multiple prongs make lifting or maneuvering of said object much more stable and comfortable than with a Knife. The prongs.

Anything that you can scoop with a spoon that you CAN"T scoop or pierce and lift with a fork can be drank straight from whatever you are using to hold it, rendering the spoon unneeded.

The fork can slice most things as well as a knife if you use some elbow grease. And the things that you can't? You either aren't trying hard enough, or you can just pierce the food and bring the whole thing to your face and bite off a chunk.

So in conclusion the fork's strong point is its penetration and grip after penetrating, anything that it can't do as well as a knife or a spoon can be done just as well using other means.

May the forks be with you.

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2007, 12:04:21 AM »
I like soup too much to not vote for the spoon.  Plus, when analyzing each tool, the roundedness of the spoon seems so innocent, amiable, and far more inviting than the imposing appendages of the fork or the bitter gleam of the knife. 
It was the first of the silverware trinity that I learned to utilize, and thus it holds a place in my heart that none other can fill.  Like a maternal figure, it has grown up with me.  Whether it's scooping up the Goldfish crackers floating around in my bowl of sticky tomato soup or measuring out a dollop of whipped cream to top off a jiggly mound of Jell-O, the spoon had always been there.  *sniffle-sniff*
Maybe there is more to me than there is to me...

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2007, 12:05:21 AM »
Chopsticks are my weapon of choice.  They just make you so dang cool.. unless of course you drop your sushi on your lap (true story).

I'm surprised the spork isn't listed.  It's like the best of both worlds.
lumpia (LOOM'·pee·ah") n.
A Filipino variation of the egg roll. It consists of more meat, less vegetable and is generally better tasting. :p

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2007, 01:28:18 AM »
Okay chopsticks are a novelty item. I don't really see how they are useful. butter knives suck, because you can use a spoon in a similar fasion. And for corn, knives are nothing in comparison to napkins. sure you can cut with steak knives, but if you eat something really tough, there isn't much trouble in lifting it to your mouth with a fork, unless it's a prime rib or other large steak. But you can probably rip them. And besides, prime ribs suck. So yeah, the final showdown is between the fork and spoon. I had to pick spoon though. You can eat most things with that require a fork with your hands, like steak. Anything else can be eaten with a spoon, like mashed potatoes or potato salad. However, you can't eat soup without a spoon. Oh, and Spaghetti sucks.

But on a final note, Sporks are the best type of silverware ever.

« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2007, 02:13:28 AM »
Okay chopsticks are a novelty item.
Tell that to an Asian!

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 02:26:40 AM »
I voted for the fork. It's a weapon...not to mention that it doubles as a spoon when you just can't find one and you need to eat cereal. It works pretty well! As for soups and stuff...I wouldn't mind using pita bread to scoop it out or I'd just drink it.
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 02:35:30 AM »
Yes... why is it you "eat" soup (assume Solids are not suspended in it)? It is liquid, like water, Kool-Aid or molten magma. Yet, you drink those things.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 03:32:47 PM »
I also vote spoon for its versatility at cutting, and holding solids and liquids.  Although I think a Spork is much superior for all these things.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 04:11:45 PM »
I don't see why the spoon's cutting factor is being so played up. The fork's cutting ability far surpasses the spoons, unless you have one of these razor-edged spoons that people are mentioning.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 07:39:27 PM »
I believe that the spoon has an "edge" on the fork's cutting ability, it depends on the spoon, though. But remember, cereal can also be consumed with the spoon. So, the spoon's cutting power, no matter at what level the said spoon is at automatically boots it.

Here is some logic to prove my spoon theory.

Because all solid items that are cut are scoopable,
And because a spoon can cut and scoop,
The spoon can scoop all solid items.

The same can be said of the fork.

BUT---

Bowl-shaped utensils can scoop liquids
A spoon is bowl-shaped
Therefore, a spoon can scoop liquids.

The same is not true for a fork. A fork is not bowl-shaped (it has holes)   

Here is a simple diagram to explain what I am talking about.

Fork: Stabbing, Cutting, Scooping Liquids
Spoon: Cutting, Scooping Solids, Scooping Liquids, Stabbing   

The spoon's inability to stab a food item is not an issue, because the stabbing power is trumped by its ability to cut and scoop solids.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 08:02:04 PM »
I think the fork is the most important (for the food I eat anyway).
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Print