Print

Author Topic: Travels  (Read 3905 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« on: February 07, 2008, 07:08:06 PM »
Anybody gone anywhere interesting? Lately? A few years back? At all? Hey, if you've left the borders of your town, state, or country, and have a tale to tell, share it here (pics welcome!).

Me, personally, my dad's a huge travel buff. And, (I don't mean to brag here... really) since we're somewhat wealthy, I've been to (in no particular order)...

-Canada (for a day-and-a-half, really)
-France (with a holdover at Spain en route)
-California/Disneyland (numerous times)
-NYC (family there)
-India (brief pit stop in Germany)
-A bunch of mostly boring mid-US states on a road trip (but there was Mt. Rushmore, the Grand Canyon...)
-Florida, the Bahamas, part of Mexico, and a few other islands during a Disney Cruise (hey, the movies might be for kids, but the cruises.. pwnage).

My brother, dad and aunt went to South America and Antartica two Decembers ago, but I opted out... just cause, I guess (and then while I was home I was grounded and there was a power outage).
I'll be going to Hawaii, eventually--I've got a bunch of shirts from there because, like, everyone in my family has been there except me. Also, there's the possibility of Easter Island and Australia in the future.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2008, 07:20:19 PM »
This is the most recent trip I've taken.

I'm going again this year.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2008, 11:18:58 PM »
I once visited New York City and went to the Nintendo World store there. That's where I bought my copy of NSMB. I also once went to Canada, but I was a baby then and don't remember anything about it.

Other than that, I haven't really traveled much except to visit family here or in North Carolina.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 11:22:05 PM by MaxVance »
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2008, 11:36:32 PM »
I'm on the other end of the spectrum. We may look fairly wealthy with a house in a nice neighborhood and a Ford Mustang in the driveway, but we've been struggling financially for the longest time.

This means out of all the trips we've planned to go on, we've only gone to about 10% of them. The other 90% were usually cancelled, or changed to a cheaper one night trip one or two states away.

I live in New York, and the city is not too far away. If you're counting places outside Manhattan, I'm just two county borders from the city. Any trip there isn't a vacation at all, and it holds true for anyone who lives near a big landmark, what seems like an awesome vacation for some seems like no big deal to the people who live in or near it. So:

We go up to Connecticut usually once or twice a year (but since my maternal grandmother's death, it seems like we go more frequently).
New Jersey is also a state we sometimes visit for vacations, as well as Pennsylvania.
When I was quite young, around the age of 4 or 5, We went upstate to Lake George, a place not too far from Canada, and has lots of mountains.
When an uncle on my mother's side had a wedding, we had gone up to Boston for a few days. It was nice, and I think going there again would be nice. (For now, if I plan on getting married, that's kind of the only place in the country I can go to.)

As far as family trips go, those places are pretty much it. We once tried planning a cruise to Bermuda, but obviously lacked funds. My dad's also promised us a trip to Disney World since we've been very young, and many years later, that promise has still not yet been fulfilled, and now he's got children aged 22, 18 going on 19, and 17.

I HAVE been on other trips, though.

In 5th grade, I had gone to New Jersey to the Liberty Science Center for a day.
In 6th grade, the class I was in took a trip to Baltimore, Maryland and Washington, D.C. for 3 days. It was a fun trip, but the end of it was already well documented here.
In 9th and 12th grade, I had also gone to Virginia with the band I was in, around the Williamsburg/Virginia Beach area. Fun times were had.

But, of course, like family trips, bad luck likes to kick me in the face.
In 8th grade, a planned band trip to St. Louis, Missouri was cancelled thanks to President wanting to start a war on Iraq, scaring people into cancelling trips to big cities.
In 10th grade, a planned band trip to Cleveland, Ohio was cancelled because only about 20-30% of the band I was in actually wanted to go.
In 11th grade, a band trip to the same place was also cancelled for the band I was in, due to powers beyond the school's control.
That same year, a trip I wanted to go on, to France, wasn't cancelled, but it was learned that it'd be quite expensive, even though my parents promised me years earlier that I could go. So I didn't go on it.

Recently, I planned on interning in Disney World, in Florida. I would've liked to sign up last semester, but due to my paternal grandfather's death, I had to take the same week off from college the week they were having sign-ups. I thought, "No big deal, I'll sign up next semester." Because I was denied financial aid though, I had to withdraw from the college this semester, not allowing me to sign up for the internship.

My friend, though, signed up at the time I couldn't, and is currently enjoying himself there. *eyetwitch*

My apologies for turning your thread into a sort of rant, but I feel that some high power NEVER wants me to leave the Northeastern United States.

(hey, the movies might be for kids, but the cruises.. pwnage)
Many of the earlier movies are awesome! Even though they might be targeted to younger audiences, I still enjoy a few of them, even if they aren't done by Pixar. I was watching A Goofy Movie just the other night on the Disney Channel.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 11:46:07 PM by Vidgmchtr »
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2008, 08:07:27 AM »
I also once went to Canada, but I was a baby then and don't remember anything about it.

Other than that, I haven't really traveled much except to visit family here or in North Carolina.
What a world! I went to Canada as a baby, too (well... maybe in the two-ish range). So I guess that other, more recent visit was the second time.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2008, 10:08:11 AM »
States (visited):
Maine
Vermont
New York
Pennsylvania
Ohio
Michigan
Illinois
Montana
Oklahoma
Tennessee
South Carolina
West Virgina

States (driven through/only set foot on for a brief time/landed in):
New Hampshire
Kentucky
Virgina
North Carolina
Minnesota

Countries:
USA
Cananda

Jman

• Score
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2008, 11:13:55 AM »
My family likes to go out west every summer.  We leave in mid/late July and come back early in August.  I've been through North Dakota, Montana, and Colorado, among others.  This explains why I passed through LD's hometown of Havre two years in a row.
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2008, 07:57:17 PM »
I have been to a maritime museum in South Carolina. Has anyone else been on a coastgaurd vessel, aircraft carrier, submarine, or destroyer? I was also at the upper peninsula of Michigan a few years ago and saw the pictured rocks and the Mariners castle (i think thats what it was called) before it collapsed.
One Ring to rule them all. One Ring to find them. One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2008, 08:54:09 PM »
In 10th grade, a planned band trip to Cleveland, Ohio was cancelled because only about 20-30% of the band I was in actually wanted to go.

Who wouldn't want to go to Cleveland? That is preposterous.

Anyway:

States I've Been To / Will Be Visiting Soon(*):
Ohio
Pennsylvania
New York
Kentucky
Illinois
Indiana
Missouri
Iowa
Michigan
Nebraska
Kansas
Colorado
Florida
Texas
New Mexico*

Countries I've Been To / Will Be Visiting Soon(*)[within 2 years]:

United States
Canada
El Salvador
Australia*
New Zealand*
Italy*
Germany*
France*
Spain*
United Kingdom*
« Last Edit: February 08, 2008, 09:00:04 PM by Koopaslaya »
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2008, 06:06:56 PM »
I've only gone south to Mexico, and that was to visit old relatives, way back in first grade.

Would've gone to Texas last year, but my brother is incapable of taking care of himself, so I stayed behind to watch him.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2008, 03:55:09 PM »
I went to Canada for a weekend when I was about 6. Too bad the only thing I remember was this bridge that just never seemed to end (Mackinac Bridge).

Also, an online friend and I have been talking on the phone alot lately and thought it'd be super sweet if I could visit her in Oregon. My mother even approves of the idea!
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2008, 02:22:01 AM »
I haven't traveled a lot. My mom really traveled a lot before we fell into this financial crevice. I've only been out of California twice. I went to Disneyland when I was 4 (I remember it) with my older sister and my aunt and cousins.

-Dunlap, California: My aunt lives there. It's way up in the mountains a little bit past Sequoia National Park. I used to go there a few times a year but in the recent years I haven't been there at all.

-Yosemite, California: My ex-stepdad dragged us up to Yosemite National Park while it was snowing. It was January 2007 and my second time seeing snow. The trip made me ponder as to why anyone would love making snowballs. I stepped on ice and my foot went into a river and I slipped flat on my back while walking on snow. I guess being from Southern California didn't help our attire. We drove to and from Yosemite in one day.

- Mexico (Tijuana, Ensenada): The day after we had come from Yosemite, my ex-stepdad dragged us down to Mexico (for reasons unknown to me). I had a nice time (although my sisters didn't). I had one of the best fish tacos I had ever tasted.

- Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (with a layover in Las Vegas, Nevada): My mother took me and my sister to visit my niece in 1997. I remember the trip because it was snowing hard. It was my first time ever seeing snow.

- San Diego, California: I went here in 2003 and 2006. The 2003 trip was for delivery purposes and the 2006 trip was to Sea World, which I did not enjoy.

"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

Print