Print

Author Topic: Wii Remote Rechargeable Batteries  (Read 2654 times)

AbercrombieBaseball

• FitchPitch
« on: March 11, 2008, 07:24:10 PM »
Hey everyone,

It's been a few months since I've been here, I think the last I was here I was asking about my then-new Wii. I absolutely love it! It's so much easier for me to play since the controls are more natural.

Anyways, I'm wondering if there are any rechargeable battery packs that are worth it since my first player remote is almost gone in terms of battery. I know I could probably just stick a few regular Duracells/Energizers in there, but the first set is only a little over two months old (with irregular use, I don't play my Wii every day).

That's why I was wondering if they'd be worth it. If I let it sit for, say, five days without use, would that be bad for it? I know an off-powered cell phone will lose a little battery and it's even worse for a laptop.

If you folks do think I'd be well off with a rechargeable, is there any that is better and what does it cost?

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 07:30:39 PM »
Get some standard NiMH rechargeables.
That was a joke.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 08:04:44 PM »

http://www.amazon.com/Nyko-87000-Wii-Charge-Station/dp/B000LFJNF2

The rubber battery covers make it easier to hold the Wiimote since I don't use the straps or gloves.  The covers don't fit in the light gun and I assume also won't fit in Perfect Shot or Mario Kart wheel so that may turn you off from it.  I have 2500 mA NiMH batts for those situations.  I also don't like that the Wiimotes don't snap into place in the charge cradle so you sometimes have to wiggle them to get them connected to charge.  I still much prefer it over swapping batteries. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 08:15:45 PM »
Still, it's a good idea to use the glove with the Nykos, or else the sweat from your hands will slowly corrode the exposed battery connectors on the back.

Also, I've had those for a while, and all of a sudden, they stopped working in all my remotes except one, and in that one, it turns off whenever I press the D-pad too hard. I've tested it with normal batteries, and the D-pad works fine. And the other remotes all work with normal batteries, too. Rechargeable AAs are probably the best way to go.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

AbercrombieBaseball

• FitchPitch
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 08:31:02 PM »
Based on what it says here, the Nykos wouldn't fit into the regular covers that came with the Wii? (I know some of the early ones didn't come with the plastic grippy things, mine came with them). I love that grippy thing (by all means please tell me the real name of it!) and would want to continue using it if I got this battery. Also, I do plan on getting MarioKart and its wheel.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 09:07:20 PM »
The Nyko battery covers fit in the Nintendo gloves or whatever they are called.  I used them for awhile, but now that my 18 month-old has been playing SMB with me and knows how to get the Wiimotes from the end table I don't use them.  I was afraid she'd bite off some of the plastic and choke on it.  Besides, the Wiimotes fit her hand better without them. 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

AbercrombieBaseball

• FitchPitch
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 11:19:00 PM »
Woah, you got her hooked young!!! When I was 18 months I wasn't even playing t-ball yet, let alone Nintendo!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 11:37:43 PM »
Somehow I would say that video games are the safer of the two.
That was a joke.

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 11:47:19 PM »
I don't find this surprising, I've been playing video games since I was 2.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Print