Print

Author Topic: BEST IN SERIES? Week 8: Yoshi's Role  (Read 12960 times)

« on: March 23, 2008, 09:09:37 AM »
Which game has Yoshi's best apperance? Cameos are allowed, if you like that sort of thing. Otherwise, I'm expecting a lot of Yoshi's Island votes.

Votes:

Yoshi's Island (1)

Winners:
WEEK 1(Attacks): Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga
WEEK 2(Final Boss Battle): Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.
WEEK 3(Music): Super Mario Galaxy
WEEK 4(Underwater Levels): Super Mario World
WEEK 5(Powerups): Super Mario Bros 3
WEEK 6(Bowser Level):Paper Mario
WEEK 7(First Boss): Super Mario 64

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 10:39:50 AM »
YOSHI'S STORY. No not really Yoshi's Island. But you really do have to give the YS Yoshi's an honorable mention, they were just hatched and right away they went off on the suckish adventure. Well the same thing happens in SMW, except for the part of the suckish adventure.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 01:16:14 PM »
Yoshi's Island, hands down. Yoshi was actually a cool side-kick at that time. His voice didn't suck, he wasn't paired off with Birdo, and he could swim in deep water.

I really wish Nintendo would come up with some better sound clips for Yoshi's voice. It kinda worked in Yoshi's Story, but quiet nearly every game since then has had the most annoying sounds in the world where Yoshi has been involved (why oh why did Yoshi's Island Advance need the annoying Yoshi sounds? WHY?!)

Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2008, 01:29:44 PM »
(why oh why did Yoshi's Island Advance need the annoying Yoshi sounds? WHY?!)

Also why did they add voices to the characters in all the other Advanced games? That's why I didn't even bother to by them

WHY
WHY
WHYYYY
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2008, 01:38:19 PM »
Yoshi's Island gets my vote for "Yoshi's Role", though I liked Super Mario World better. 

I like how this BEST IN SERIES is giving equal categories for each of my favorite games.  How many weeks before we start seeing dupes? 
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2008, 05:19:11 PM »
Also why did they add voices to the characters in all the other Advanced games? That's why I didn't even bother to by them

WHY
WHY
WHYYYY
I hear ya... (that, and the excessive 1-Ups)

YI, of course. Honestly, it really is the only game where Yoshi is enjoyably playable/ridable.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2008, 06:17:13 PM »
Yoshi's Island, hands down. Yoshi was actually a cool side-kick at that time. His voice didn't suck
Because he didn't have one in that game!
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2008, 06:52:35 PM »
Yoshi's Safari.

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2008, 11:10:09 PM »
Best role? Yoshi's Island, hands down.

Best look? Can't say for sure, since the art renders and FMV renders all look superior. But again I'll say Yoshi's Island just because he looked like a teenager/adult there. In the games since then, he looks younger.
You didn't say wot wot.

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2008, 01:44:23 AM »
Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga.

Not sure if this counts as it's probably not the true Yoshi, but there are Yoshies; if it doesn't count, can someone please inform me so I can change it. Plus, I thought I'd go for the outsider vote.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2008, 01:46:52 AM »
Well, then, the green Yoshi in Yoshi's Island probably isn't "the real Yoshi", since that must have been the previous generation, and I believe "the real Yoshi" just hatched from an egg at the beginning of Super Mario World.
CURSE YOU... SOMEBODY!

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2008, 03:08:06 AM »
That can't be right, because the first Yoshi you encounter hadn't just hatched. He directly tells you he was off to save his friends who got sealed into eggs by Bowser, when he got sealed into one himself. Don't know what that means about the other green Yoshis in ? Blocks--the same one, sealed again and again, every time you lose sight of him? Cursed? Different Yoshis who suffered the same fate? The ones up in Star Road are clearly newborns, however.

As for this thread, Yoshi's Island is obviously going to win, and it has my vote. If I had to choose a different game, I still rather like that he was fully playable, not ridable, in Super Mario 64 DS.

Edit: Ultima Shadow, are you sure you meant Superstar Saga? They have barely any role at all in it aside from laying Neon Eggs for you!
« Last Edit: March 24, 2008, 03:10:01 AM by Bird Person »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2008, 07:52:18 AM »
I'm going to say Yoshi's Isand because I respect the amount of patience those Yoshis had with Baby Mario.  My niece and nephews can be just as bad, if not worse.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2008, 02:06:13 PM »
Yoshi is like Toad; there's only a distinct single Yoshi when plot events dictate thus.
That was a joke.

« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2008, 02:15:45 PM »
Edit: Ultima Shadow, are you sure you meant Superstar Saga? They have barely any role at all in it aside from laying Neon Eggs for you!

Yes; I loved the concept of the Yoshi Theatre, and the entire goal of making them lay the Neon Eggs was fun. Also, the face the Yoshies make when they receive the Neon Fruit is incredibly funny/cute (depending on which way you look at it) and finding out at the end of the game that the events were just a film that the Yoshies were watching (or an adaptment of it) was a nice touch.

Plus, I didn't like Yoshi's other roles in comparison; Super Mario World just made him look like a power-up/gimmick, despite the Yoshi House and message box, and Yoshi's Story portrayed him less as a loyal and courageous hero and more of an "OMG-SO-CUTE" hero; then again, with such  a character as Yoshi, it was only a matter of time, so I can't really blame Yoshi's Story for doing that to his character. Also, in Super Mario 64... I don't know about you, but seeing a green dinosaur commit suicide isn't really the best way to celebrate clocking the game.

I liked his role in Yoshi's Island, by the way, and in Super Mario 64 DS; just not as much as in M&LSS. That, and I haven't played any Yoshi DS games for a prolonged period of time, or played Yoshi's Safari.
If my son could decimate Lego cities with his genitals, I'd be [darn] proud.

Print