Print

Author Topic: Why is wall jumping/kicking so satisfying?  (Read 40116 times)

« on: July 28, 2008, 09:00:55 PM »
Does anyone actually know? All I know is that if they made a whole entire game with wall jumping, I would buy it. It's way under-used it almost all Mario games.

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 09:10:27 PM »

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 09:11:21 PM »
I find wall kicking satisfying because I know I'm safe after I do it, since I can usually land on another platform after I wall kick. Well, most of the time, at least.
Hacky, please stop teaming with the computers.

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 09:15:29 PM »
I'm not sure if you can wall-jump in Mirror's Edge, which bobman linked.

If you want a game about wall-jumping, you can't go wrong with one of my favorite platformers, N. Most of my playing has been on the XBLA version, N+. A DS and PSP version should be in the works, too.

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 09:19:20 PM »
I keep thinking that the running-across-the-walls trick is a ripoff of Prince of Persia: Sands of Time. I don't remember who or what did it first, but PoP:SoT was the first game I noticed wall running. No, not wall riding in Tony Hawk games. But running across walls is cool. Actually, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time is mostly acrobatics, give that a try.

Well, for wall kicking, Super Metroid did it wonderfully.

Maybe wall kicking is satisfying for that kicking noise and the "WAH! YAH!" sound. Smash Bros. Melee also had wall kicking (play Target Test with Young Link, you'll see), I just almost never used it.
You didn't say wot wot.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 10:35:04 PM »

Well, for wall kicking, Super Metroid did it wonderfully.

You can't imagine how many days it took me to learn how to execute that move as a kid.
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 09:09:58 AM »
I think that the main reason it's so satisfying is that it's far more impossible than most of Mario's basic moves. You can jump in real life, you can butt stomp stuff (abeit with pain), and you can even backflip. But it's not really possible to jump off paralell walls and get to higher places. :P
What is a mystery? Just go inside my head, and you'll find out.

« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 03:35:07 PM »
I only butt stomp on trampolines. Come to think of it, wasn't there a movie that had people wall-jumping (literally wall-jumping) to get higher up? Kung-Fu Hustle, possibly??

Super Metroid did do it perfectly, but I sort of like Mario Sunshine's version, where Mario 'grabs' the wall after hitting it. It made wall jumps easier for those who didn't quiet catch on in SM64, and the SMS version was there in Galaxy, I think.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 10:47:22 AM »
I'm not sure if you can wall-jump in Mirror's Edge, which bobman linked.

If you want a game about wall-jumping, you can't go wrong with one of my favorite platformers, N. Most of my playing has been on the XBLA version, N+. A DS and PSP version should be in the works, too.

I've played it at ebaumsworld hahaa... yeah but when I saw it coming to handhelds I was like Whoa. ftw.

Oh, and yeah, Galaxy did have Sunshine's wall jump characteristics... except you just could hit A without moving the analog stick and he would jump perfectly in places that you were supposed to do it in.... he stays still on the wall for a while!!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 10:50:31 AM by Trainman »
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 11:16:28 AM »
Super Mario 64 - The hardest wall jump. (Then called wall kick, I think). If you didn't press A at the right time Mario would hit his head on the wall
Super Mario Sunshine - It made it loads easier.
Super Mario Galaxy - It made it "newb friendly" because Mario slowly slides down the wall everytime you connect with one, making it loads easier.
New Super Mario Bros. - This was way underused too, but made pits possible to escape from.
Melee - Wall jumping is both unsatisfying and useless in this game, not sure about Brawl. The only thing I remember about Brawl is how retarded ZSS wall jumped.

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 12:55:47 PM »
Wall kicking is, both figuratively and literally, overcoming obstacles.  It is also a maneuver that requires an awesome amount of skill, at least in SM64, so completing the move creates a sense of accomplishment.

Wall Kicks Will Work and Coins Amassed in a Maze were some of my favorite stars to collect.
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

missingno

• ▄█ 'M ▓▒
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 01:32:28 PM »
Melee - Wall jumping is both unsatisfying and useless in this game, not sure about Brawl. The only thing I remember about Brawl is how retarded ZSS wall jumped.

The kicking in Brawl is a tad better than in Melee. It's just horrible in Melee, I can't even complete Link's (or was it Young Link's?) target smash due to it.
Ditto used Machop!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2008, 01:38:58 PM »
I think that's more of a case of you not knowing how to do it correctly.
That was a joke.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2008, 03:42:27 PM »
I knew how to do it just fine, but that Target Test still took me about 10 minutes to complete...  I like it better in Brawl; I also like how certain characters can "cling" to walls (Sheik, Lucario, Squirtle, etc.).
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Kimimaru

• Max Stats
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2008, 04:54:22 PM »
Super Mario Galaxy - It made it "newb friendly" because Mario slowly slides down the wall everytime you connect with one, making it loads easier.

I wouldn't call it "newb friendly." I'd say it's just a move Mario improved on over time. I actually wall-kicking better in Super Mario Sunshine and Super Mario Galaxy because when it is combined with F.L.U.D.D/spin, it makes it so much more useful and it opens up more opportunities for shortcuts.
The Mario series is the best! It has every genre in video games but RTS'! It also has a plumber who does different roles, a princess, and a lot of odd creatures who don't seem to poop!

Print