Print

Author Topic: New Super Mario Brothers Wii  (Read 166945 times)

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #480 on: November 26, 2009, 08:20:41 PM »
I like Mushroom Plains. All the others sound... stupid. Hell, Mario Party's mini-game titles are 50x more interesting than those MarioWiki suggestions.

Anyway, I really don't mind the generic numbering system whatsoever. Nintendo would probably come up with names even worse than the MarioWiki ones. Nevermind the numbering quickly becoming confusing for some when it turns into:

Donut Plains 1
Donut Plains 2-B (for alternate courses. Putting "Donut Plains B" would be more confusing than World 3-B, for example.)
Chocolatey Forest Extravaganza 9
Super Magical Dust Land 4-Ghost House
Guilt-Ridden Deadly Poison 4-C (Anyone who gets what game that's from wins)
Sea of Shifting Sand Land Castle
Fires of Hell 7-Back Door

EDIT: I'd like to share some sound opinions, advice opinions, and glitches in the game.

Sound: Why did they stick with the DS "hurry up" and "you're dead" sounds? I don't mind the "you're dead" one, but they sound like the same sound quality as the DS and they're both a lot quieter than the other songs/sounds... as if someone in the recording studio held up a DS, waited for the timer to reach 100, then quickly held it up to the microphone and recorded it.... and subsequently used that.

Glitches: When you unlock the secret thing and, as a result, collect all the star coins in a world, you get a notification that you've gotten them and now can play one of the things at the secret thing. Well, I got the notification for all worlds except when I finished World 3. Strange. Also, has anyone else noticed that the game freezes for a split (but very noticeable) second every time you get a Starman and if you touch the flagpole when you have a Starman?

Advice: Couldn't Nintendo have kept the advice to a minimum? Before you assume anything, let me explain: You know the little icon you get over your head when you get an item that is spin-jumpable and when you get near an object you can pick up? Couldn't it have just done that the first time you encountered a shake-the-controller [fixed for Toad] item/object, then never showed its face again (or at least have the option to turn it off)? Do I have to be shown what to do every time I find a Propeller Suit and every time I run into a set of ice blocks/POW blocks/whatever in a level until I do it? They at least could've taken the Mario Galaxy approach (which is still annoying) and just kept the permanent instructions in the levels you encounter a new gameplay element in (Battlerock Galaxy, Space Junk Galaxy).

Also, another thing: Must I be forced to look at the "Hey just lettin' ya know! Don't be afraid to use your items to clear a tough course! Press 1 to bring up your inventory" notification every time I finish the item mini-game?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 11:40:38 AM by Trainman »
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #481 on: November 27, 2009, 12:17:46 AM »
waggle

That'll be enough of that. It's either wiggle or wag, but not waggle please. Curse whoever came up with that word.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #482 on: November 27, 2009, 11:42:44 AM »
Of all that I typed, that's the only thing you could pick out and comment on?

"Waggle" was probably created by a person to lazy to say wiggle and/or wag and just wanted to combine the two.

« Reply #483 on: November 27, 2009, 03:57:29 PM »
Sorry, but being alone with two crying babies kinda limited my time to post.. :)

Anyway, I agree with your advice points. Any advice bubbles should only come up again if you start a new file, or come across the place where you first encounter the powerup (or maybe give us the ability to switch the advice in the Toad Houses off..)
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #484 on: November 27, 2009, 04:45:28 PM »
Which reminds me, the "spin to pick up anything besides a shell" mechanic is a pointless nuisance. Were that many people really complaining about SMW's keys and P-Switches being too easy to pick up?
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

« Reply #485 on: November 27, 2009, 05:12:41 PM »
That's exactly what I was thinking. Even the SMB2 way of picking things up - by jumping on top of them and press a button - almost seem more convenient than this whole "waggle" business.

« Reply #486 on: November 27, 2009, 10:59:53 PM »
I think the wiggling/wagging/waggling is a little bothersome, but if it's not to the point where it seriously impairs passage through a level, I don't mind it.  The "use an item"/"Spend Star Coins"/etc. messages, however, get slightly old after a while.  I'm really appalled at the number of recycled NSMB tunes though; thank you, castle theme!
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #487 on: November 28, 2009, 04:08:44 PM »
To add on to jdaster's comment... I dont like the organs (in the beginning) of the castle song. It sounds out-of-place since they're loud, simple, staccato notes, followed by a slower-feeling, quieter, and slightly slurred string/violin/whatever-it-is part (which is the really good part).

This is extremely similar to when I had the first mission in Space Junk Galaxy ruined for me for the following reason.

Think of the first time you went to Space Junk. You're learning to grab the blue stars... the music is quiet and peaceful... you see the bright spiral galaxy behind you... you see all the textures and lighting effects the Wii can pull off... you're totally immersed, then you think, "Holy crap, this is a MARIO game... with an orchestrated score, too! Dang, Nintendo is awesome."

You get to the part where you have to break the Toads free, and then you're completely blown out of your immersion and then the wonder of why the hell Nintendo had to screw up an otherwise awesome setting with this loud, annoying, childish, MIDI pile of crap springs up. To add insult to injury, another awesome song follows the bad one. It's embarrassing to show friends this part but the parts preceding and proceeding the dumb moment are too awesome to ignore... so I just gotta get to the Sling Star on the brigade ship as fast as possible so I can end the horrible music.

« Reply #488 on: November 28, 2009, 06:33:34 PM »
The comments for that video you linked to are the most mature, intelligent and original anywhere on Youtube.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #489 on: November 28, 2009, 07:55:20 PM »
That post was necessary, Weegee.

« Reply #490 on: November 28, 2009, 09:47:10 PM »
My sarcasometer just blew up.

« Reply #491 on: November 28, 2009, 09:51:35 PM »
Well, it's not like it wasn't obvious.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #492 on: November 30, 2009, 02:52:10 AM »
I just read this thread for the first time since I went into spoiler-avoidance mode a few weeks before release. A few thoughts:

• There is NOT a 1-Up overload in multiplayer. I got into the 40s at my peak but was down to the single digits when we rolled the credits. I never continued but the others all did 5-10 times. These weren't bad players, either (just not as pr0 as me). 1-Up Mushrooms were BY FAR the most viciously sought-after item, rivaled only by Propeller Mushrooms. And Propeller Mushrooms were really only valued because they gave "free 1-Ups" at flagpoles. I love Nintendo for including the SHAME COUNTER. Fear of SHAME made us cherish 1-Ups like never before.
  • I also miss throwing shells upward. Early on I straight-up murdered someone with a point blank shell to the face because I 100% expected my shell was going to go up.
  • This is the legit console 2D Mario platformer that people have been pining for since the Fungi Forums was founded and I quite like it, but when the four-player was announced I got my hopes up that it would actually be designed for four players, like Four Swords. I was disappointed to see that it's just a normal-style Mario game with multiple people playing at once. There weren't any four-man switches or enemies that required double-teaming or splitting codependent paths or anything like that.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #493 on: November 30, 2009, 04:24:22 AM »
Wait, there is 1-Up overload whether it's single-player or not.

Sure, I only played with one other person, but still, I got down to about 95 lives (from 99) from adding a second person, the second player got one continue, got the hang of it, then had about 25 or so 1-Ups by the time we blasted through World 1.

Like I said before, in single-player, I maxed out towards the beginning of World 3 (left World 1 with around 40 lives) without visiting any 1-Up houses or repeating any levels on my first playthrough. I'm not saying every single level is teeming with 1-Ups, but some levels are just like friggin' 1-Up safehouses... like... they should name some of the levels, for example:

World 1-
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 04:26:41 AM by Trainman »

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #494 on: November 30, 2009, 05:15:27 AM »
I did World 1 and 2 with four players and 3, 4, and 5 on my own, have visited most Toad Houses and repeated a handful of levels, and have not once had more than 21 lives.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Print