Print

Author Topic: What's next for 2D Mario Platformers?  (Read 29519 times)

« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2009, 10:38:45 PM »
Mario and Sonic should stay away from each other. Mario is at the top of his game. Sonic is in the dumpster.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2009, 10:50:46 PM »
Excluding Brawl, Mario and Sonic should never have coexisted in the first place. M&S at the Olympic Games has opened the floodgates for spin-offs unworthy of carrying either mascot's name, and crossovers in general have a reputation for tarnishing the integrity of all parties involved. Additionally, Mario and Sonic's newfound friendly sporting rivalry has toppled their respective companies' longstanding mutual hatred for each other, which is an awful thing to do.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2009, 04:32:37 PM »
Additionally, Mario and Sonic's newfound friendly sporting rivalry has toppled their respective companies' longstanding mutual hatred for each other, which is an awful thing to do.
Why? I don't see how getting rid of hate in any form is a bad thing...

As for 2D Mario Platformers, I haven't played New SMB Wii yet, but the general vibe I'm getting from those who have is that it's a great game, but still very "been there, done that". I think a new 2D platformer with some real new elements thrown in would be great - more emphasis on puzzle-solving and gimmicks, a new graphic style, a new story, a unique and different setting, plausible cutscenes, etc...anything like these could spice up the next Mario platformer, at least the way I would see it.
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2009, 04:40:04 PM »
After reading about what you'd want to see in the next Mario title, I can't help but be strongly reminded of Sunshine.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2009, 04:46:16 PM »
Why? I don't see how getting rid of hate in any form is a bad thing...

As mentioned before, quasi-sarcastic social commentary is hard to convey over the internet.

I can't imagine myself having any qualms over the title's alleged lack of innovation. Heck, my concept for the perfect Mario game would be Super Mario World with new levels and absolutely no new game mechanics whatsoever.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2009, 05:43:15 PM »
They should've had more songs geared towards the games they were pulling enemies/objects from. I do like a lot of the overworld music, but why not have some old Donut Plains/Grass Land/etc. stuff in there?

Also, why not bring back the old SMB3 songs (excluding the mid-level enemy mini-game's song) and SMW songs instead of HAVING to be NSMB stuff. They were going back to the original games so much... why not the soundtrack as well?

However, I do like the "Aruhruhruh" Spin Jump sound from SMW being included (and Mario shooting fire/iceballs in both directions when he does it like SMW). Also, when a Koopa Kid's fireballs appear in a castle they make the "burahahah" sound from SMAS when you get a leaf in SMB3 (or when an object you were holding turns into a power-up when you cross the finish gate in SMW). Lastly, I think it's pretty cool that when you shoot an iceball at lava or hit a Podoboo (which look like their SMW counterparts with "eyes"), it makes the "Huuttt" sound.
Formerly quite reasonable.

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2009, 06:20:07 PM »
The Podobo noise always sounded like "fwoot" to me.
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

Reading

• is FUNdamental
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2009, 06:28:56 PM »
After reading about what you'd want to see in the next Mario title, I can't help but be strongly reminded of Sunshine.
Is that good or bad (or neither)? I wasn't thinking of Sunshine when I posted that, but I do like Sunshine. Not as much as 64 and Galaxy, but still quite a lot. I was just playing it again recently, actually...I only stopped because I had to work on a project for a contest at another website. I should pick it up again.

By "gimmicks", I'm not talking about stuff like FLUDD; I'm referring to devices in levels like the arrow platforms from Yoshi's Island, mushroom blocks from SMB2, etc.
We went to see them for the first time in 5 years because they were going away for 3 years.

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2009, 06:39:00 PM »
They were going back to the original games so much... why not the soundtrack as well?
Huh?

SMW castle.
Reminiscent of SMW Bowser theme. And so's this one.
Not any game in particular, but very evocative.
As always. And again.
Pretty much straight out of SMB3.
Even more so.
Either the Hammer Brother theme or Fever.

Also, it's not what you're looking for, but this could easily be a cut track from Luigi's Mansion.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2009, 06:57:58 PM »
It would help so much if the tracks didn't have those unecessary "Ba's" all over the place.
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2009, 07:00:10 PM »
Hey, heavy use of vocals in the soundtrack worked for Metroid Prime.  Why not for Mario?
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2009, 07:29:16 PM »
It did?

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2009, 07:35:37 PM »
Crosseyed7:

I made a mistake by not mentioning specifically that I was referring to SMB3/SMW for overworld & map song purposes. In an earlier post, I think in the NSMB Wii thread, (or this one, hell I dont remember), I said that I wished they would've had old map songs (grass land/donut plains/etc. etc. etc.) and could've used old overworld music (SMB3 overworld songs/SMW overworld songs) in conjunction with NSMB's overworld songs.

Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2009, 09:53:34 PM »
A 2D Platformer starring Bowser could be awesome. Something in the vein of Super Bowser Bros (from Paper Mario 2) or Super Paper Mario would be cool.

If they wanted Bowser to.. save.. a damsel, then Wendy could be kidnapped.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2009, 10:28:13 PM »
Tv_Themes really needs to cut down on his use of preposterous adjectives.

I don't see why you would want old map music. Re-use of stuff like the SMB3 battle theme is cool and fun, but reuse of something like the map music would be closer to acting like they were trying to make a SMB3 with current graphics. It is a very SMB3-oriented game and that makes me happy, but I don't see why new music wouldn't be wanted. Even if it isn't quite as catchy as the old stuff.
That was a joke.

Print