Print

Author Topic: What's next for 2D Mario Platformers?  (Read 29518 times)

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #90 on: November 29, 2009, 12:05:37 AM »
Source?
That was a joke.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2009, 02:44:50 AM »
http://guides.ign.com/guides/14354229/page_4.html

Go down to "Save File Stars"

I was gonna cite Gamewinners.com as well, but the site indicates that one of the profile stars is obtained by not unlocking the Super Guide, which is untrue because I have all five stars and accidentally "unlocked" the Super Guide.

What I'd like to know is what is the source for all the "your star wont be sparkly if you unlock it" stuff?

If it was supposed to sparkle or not depending on whether or not you unlocked the Super Guide, then why did I get the screen that indicated that "You've done everything in New Super Mario Bros. Wii!!!" if I actually didn't do everything that could be done in the game?
Formerly quite reasonable.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #92 on: November 29, 2009, 07:51:42 PM »
No, I heard that it only sparkles if you don't cause the Super Guide to appear.
That was a joke.

Trainman

• Bob-Omg
« Reply #93 on: November 29, 2009, 08:33:15 PM »
... "your star wont be sparkly if you unlock it [the Super Guide]" stuff?

That's what I was saying. ^

Still, I'm wondering what the source for the sparkly stuff is because it seems highly conjectural.
Formerly quite reasonable.

« Reply #94 on: November 30, 2009, 02:13:12 AM »
You'd think some authoritative source would be available by now that gives the correct info on these sparklies. Actually, I wish we didn't have these unexplained mysterious symbols in prominent locations anymore (like the stars you get on the title screen of Yoshi's Island for 100%-ing a world). Either plainly explain what they are in the manual or game without having to go to cheat sites or don't include them at all. Although at least with Yoshi's Island it was fairly obvious how to get them considering 100%-ing a bonus stage was a feat in itself. Stupid Poochy. Poochy is stupid...

Actually, I'm curious how people come across cheats and "do this for 101%" tips in the first place unless they hack the game or get chummy with the developers. Or just have nothing better to do than try every possible gameplay outcome and button combination.
You didn't say wot wot.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #95 on: November 30, 2009, 07:10:21 AM »
All I know is it's strangely ironic for a game that constantly reminds you how to use basic items and has videos of how to beat virtually everything to (apparently) not give any clear indication of what stars on your file mean.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

« Reply #96 on: November 30, 2009, 10:11:59 AM »
Those stars have been around since the days of the Super Mario Advance series, though I believe then that they represented score only.  NSMB DS had three of 'em, too, IIRC.  At least those were fairly easy to figure out, though.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

Tv_Themes

• Voted off the island
« Reply #97 on: November 30, 2009, 11:06:45 AM »
All I know is it's strangely ironic for a game that constantly reminds you how to use basic items and has videos of how to beat virtually everything to (apparently) not give any clear indication of what stars on your file mean.

As Happy Video Game Nerd once said, when I was young and playing video games, the game told me nothing. I learned from dying over and over and figuring out what to do.

Down with tutorials!
Unless you are cloned, you do not need to look like a midget version of your dad. Okay Bowser Jr.?

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #98 on: November 30, 2009, 03:09:55 PM »
I think you mean "down with hand-holding."  In games with more complicated control schemes, or with button-combos, or both, a tutorial at the beginning of the game is welcome, and then the game should build on those concepts and put the player in situations requiring ever-increasing mastery of them.  Unless you read the manual (and only geeks, myself included, read manuals nowadays), you're not going to know a lot about the controls, and even if you do read manuals, a good tutorial will help you learn how to do something in practice as well as theory.  Kind of like driving for the first time after a few hours sitting in class reading about driving.
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #99 on: November 30, 2009, 03:29:29 PM »
Also, manuals suck today, so no one reads them, so they don't bother making them not suck because no one reads them, so they suck. It's an endless downward spiral. The NSMBW manual, for instance, has no mention that I can see of the story, the Koopalings, or Fire Flowers.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

« Reply #100 on: November 30, 2009, 04:00:35 PM »
Amen to that. Heck, Pokemon Yellow's manual contained a partial Pokedex and guide through to the first gym leader.
YYur  waYur n beYur you Yur plusYur instYur an Yur Yur whaYur

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #101 on: November 30, 2009, 04:11:58 PM »
Tv_Themes clearly meant "walkthroughs" rather than "tutorials". There's nothing wrong with knowing how to play a game.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #102 on: November 30, 2009, 09:58:39 PM »
Tutorials (when need be): Yes
Handholding: No

« Reply #103 on: November 30, 2009, 10:02:44 PM »
Tutorials (when need be): Yes
Handholding: No
Agreed.  I'd go insane trying to figure a game like Rhythm Heaven out without a practice mode or tutorial at the beginning, but I don't like it when (e.g.) NSMBW nags you about purchasing videos from Peach's Castle after finishing 1-up Mushroom Houses.  GAAH, that gets annoying.  At least the little "1+(spin)" icon is minor and doesn't slow down gameplay.
If she is indeed genetically mutated such that she has an eye in the back of her head, then I guess that she is genetically mutated and has an eye in the back of her head.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #104 on: November 30, 2009, 10:04:53 PM »
But hey... I guess we might as well get used to it.

Print