Print

Author Topic: Time Limit  (Read 1978 times)

« on: August 20, 2002, 10:52:42 AM »
Do you prefer the mario games that have time limits or the ones that dont ?

It''s-a me, Mario !
It''s-a me, Mario !

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2002, 11:28:16 AM »
Don't know... In some games, like Super Mario Bros. 3 and such, the time limit adds a sort of 'pace', and I think that works. Stick a time limit into something like Yoshi's Island, though, and the game becomes... worse, basically. Reckon Nintendo knows when to use 'em and when to not.

~Waddle Dedede
I ignored the rules about signatures, therefore I am most likely a spam account.

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2002, 12:36:52 PM »
There shouldn't be a time limit anymore. Games now, you just explore.
Previously it sure was fun.
But now I think it shouldn't be done.

-------
The Vatican rules can not be changed. So sayeth the spider.
-Queen Spider

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2002, 01:19:36 PM »
back in the SMB 8-bit days, there was not much to explore, so a time limit was ok.

I presonally hate auto-scrolling levels, but I know they can be a better "time limit" than a clock since it really speeds you up.

It's-a penalty kick!

Cele the Ref

Cele the Ref

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2002, 02:47:14 PM »
The Old NES games, of course, the levels were not too large, thus a time limit is a good thing...

On games with large levels, like SM64 or even YI, A time limit would make the game a mess. For example, in YI, say you were given a 400 second time limit for World 4-4... My personal record for beating it, with ANY score, Is 6'36"00 or thereabouts. That is 396 seconds. A time limit in YI would make getting a 100 in some levels a real pain. As for SM64, most of the fun is in exploring the levels! A time limit would mess it up badly!

As for self-scrollers, they are the bane for me in any Mario game. In fact, The Worst level in any Mario game ever made in my opinion, 6-5 of YI, is a self-scroller. They are normally easy, and the fact that you have to go at the game's pace (usually to slow for me) makes me bored.

Cuando yo me siento aquí, reflexionar lo que aconteció exactamente con mi vida, yo me dí cuenta algo. Algo interesar. ... algo que no era bastante correcto... algo que pareció hacer mi vida incompleta... algo que hizo mí se siente vacía adentro.. ¿Tan, usted sabe lo que hice? Absolutamente nada. Era el mejor desicion de mi vida. Mi vida no bastante correcta vacía.
~I.S.~

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2002, 10:31:00 PM »
I am always impressed with myself when I make it through an auto-scrolling level like that one in world 5 of SMB3. You know, with the Fire Chomps and stuff. Well, that was a while ago. Now I'm a lot better.
I agree that when there are time limits, they're good. When there aren't time limits, making a time limit would be bad.

"Tonight, I`ll make an old family recipe. Pickled dandelions with barnacles in a diesel marinade!" - Prof. E. Gadd
That was a joke.

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2002, 10:38:15 PM »
Heh, I always had to use a P-Wing when I was little on the self-scroller in World 5 (5-9, if you are interested) but I can do it now. 5-9 is the only self-scroller in any game that gave me difficulty beside the first tank level in world 8 of SMB3. SMB3 has the only even remotely hard self-scrollers in any game in the Mario universe... But the reason I am not as into SMB3 as many of you is because so many levels in that game are self-scrollers...

All the airships, 1-4, 3-6, 5-9, 6-7, 7-4, and a lot of the areas in World 8. (I came up with that list by memory, I may have missed 1 or 2) Plus those levels that go up and down into the lake (especially 3-8, God I hate that level) I also can't stand...

Cuando yo me siento aquí, reflexionar lo que aconteció exactamente con mi vida, yo me dí cuenta algo. Algo interesar. ... algo que no era bastante correcto... algo que pareció hacer mi vida incompleta... algo que hizo mí se siente vacía adentro.. ¿Tan, usted sabe lo que hice? Absolutamente nada. Era el mejor desicion de mi vida. Mi vida no bastante correcta vacía.
~I.S.~

Print