Print

Author Topic: Can Nintendo bounce back and get ahead of Xbox?  (Read 7379 times)

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« on: November 14, 2002, 10:45:46 AM »
Sales of GameCube hardware in the U.S. are lackluster compared to Xbox. Nintendo is behind over 500,000 units, which places Microsoft in the lead - for now. I think Nintendo will take the lead once again when Metroid Prime and The Legend of Zelda are eventually released...

Metroid Prime is one of the highest-anticipated titles of 2002. It has recieved so much hype that it's nearly impossible to avoid!

The next chapter in the Zelda series may be cartoon-shaded, but it will surely outsell any title Microsoft has to offer due to the Zelda series' success in past versions.

All Microsoft has to offer this holiday is Xbox Live - their online gaming service that promises to change the world of videogames as we know it. Microsoft has already failed in Japan, because the Xbox is NOT selling well over there at all!

So in a way, Nintendo has a better advantage because of their commitment to great game development - not to mention their hefty amount of top franchises like Mario, Zelda, and Metroid. All Microsoft has to offer is their Xbox live service, but I can assure you it's nothing big to get excited about...

What do you think? Can Nintendo take the lead away from Microsoft?
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2002, 05:32:26 PM »
Of course they will, Nintendo's the Babe Ruth of video games. It's always looked at as the best and the thing that paved the way for today's Sony's and Microsofts.

It''s-a me, Mario !
It''s-a me, Mario !

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2002, 10:43:47 PM »
You forgot Starfox. If people actually played SFA for a while, no one would even want an Xbox.
XBOX SHALL DIE!!
BWAH HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAH!!

Ooh Heh
Ooh Heh
That was a joke.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2002, 06:31:08 AM »
This is war - the battle between good and evil - Nintendo (good) versus Microsoft (evil).

Nintendo has always survivied countless threats from rival companies - from Sega, to Sony, and now Microsoft. Nintendo has always found ways to fight back and to never give up, even when the chances are against them!

This is almost the same situation that Nintendo was in during the N64/PlayStation battle, PlayStation was ahead in sales, but good ol' Nintendo found a way to fight back with the release of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, and that (plus Super Smash Bros. and the Mario Party series) kept the N64 going on for 6 long years!

So Nintendo isn't in any trouble, you can keep your hopes up that Nintendo will find a way to fight the Xbox threats - that comeback will be with Metroid Prime...the most highly anticipated game of 2002 (besides Grand Theft Auto: Vice City)!

Nintendo will never give up to failure, NEVER! Nintendo will always fight to the end, even if the chances are against them! Fight on Nintendo, beat the Xbox and pummel Microsoft to the ground!

Another thing: Nintendo isn't really focused on battling Sony anymore. Microsoft is posing the real threat to Nintendo. Sony's PS2 has already proven to be the industry leader that will never be touched.
People who like video games should also like Nintendo. People who don't like Nintendo obviously don't like video games.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2002, 08:11:51 AM »
Nintendo will fight on, and beat the Xbox and Microsoft's threats! Go Nintendo!

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2002, 01:07:52 PM »
UPDATE: This article was taken from gamesindustrybiz.com - it shows that Microsoft has already failed in the console business with their Xbox...

Microsoft reveals scale of Xbox losses

Rob Fahey 15:30 15/11/2002
Console business is Microsoft's biggest money pit

The full scale of the losses Microsoft is incurring in its drive to establish a foothold in the console business were revealed today, with the giant corporation filing figures with the American Securities and Exchange Commission which show its Home and Entertainment Division, which covers the Xbox business, making a bigger loss than any other non-profitable division of the company.

For the three months ended September 30, the division reported losses of $177 million on revenues of $505 million - higher than last years figure of $68 million, but with investment in Xbox Live still ramping up and further price cuts to the hardware a possibility, the losses may not yet have peaked.

Other non-profitable divisions included the mobile devices business, which is currently attempting to break into the hugely competitive mobile phone market, and the MSN internet service. These divisions lost $33 million and $97 million respectively.

Of course, the overall picture is a lot brighter - the company's two profitable divisions, namely operating systems and software, make a profit of $3.5 billion between them, more than enough to fund the losses elsewhere. Microsoft is certainly hurting because of Xbox, but gritting its teeth and pushing forward isn't likely to be a difficult decision for a company with $30 billion in the bank.

Microsoft needs a foothold in the living room and a serious competitor to the PlayStation, and spending billions of dollars now is likely to be peanuts in the long term. As consoles become more powerful and multi-functional, this is no longer going to be a battle about games, but rather about the future of consumer computing - and the Redmond-based giant isn't about to surrender that vital territory to Sony without a fight.

Source:BBC News

---------------------------------------------
So you see, I was right all along! Xbox has failed...and Nintendo and Sony have nothing to worry about. Xbox Live - an online gaming service for the Xbox - is Microsoft's only hope to resurrect any futures of the Xbox's success.

HA HA! Stupid Microsoft! They've lost millions of dollars from the Xbox! Sony had better sales within the first week of the PlayStation's launch!

This goes to show you that Microsoft has no idea what they are doing with their video games. They are experimenting with trial-and-error on the public, who just don't seem to be interested in any of Microsoft's business with the video games industry!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2002, 10:26:14 PM »
Yeah... they missed the trial-and-error phase of Video Games by about 25 years...
But still, I view Xbox and Microsoft as separate entities, because I have nothing against the computer Microsoft.
How can you be mad at Billy when he gave $100,000,000 to the health people in India?

Ooh Heh
Ooh Heh
That was a joke.

« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2002, 05:34:08 PM »
You forgot Starfox. If people actually played SFA for a while, no one would even want an Xbox.
XBOX SHALL DIE!!
BWAH HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAH!!

Comments: Very true

Another thing, that's just US sales, the Xbox is A complete FAILURE in Japan. Gamecube like kills the competition over there.
 n/a

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2002, 06:04:23 PM »
XBOX SUX Nintendo will destroy XBOX once and for all. As I say
"On top of a building there was some blood that's where I shot Bill Gates with a 42 slug, I went to his funeral and saw his grave people threw flowers but I threw gernades. The janitor caught me and sent me to bed, I took out my shotgun and blew off his head." Funny huh? my friend made it up. I chose to hate Bill Gates because he bought Rare Ware.

It's ah me Marioguy
I HATE JON!!! He betrayed me. So now everyone can have his picture.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2002, 09:47:00 PM »
No, it's not funny.
Why are you mad at dear Mr. Gates? As I've said MANY times before, he is not to blame. People need to learn not to immediately associate Bill Gates with Microsoft, because he is not the man behind the company anymore.

Ooh Heh
Ooh Heh
That was a joke.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2002, 09:57:43 AM »
You know what's kind of ironic, most people respect Nintendo and Sony for their achievements in the videogame industry - though hardly anyone likes Microsoft's Xbox!

That goes to show you that Japanese videogame companies are far superior and more well-respected than their United States counterparts!

Nintendo and Sony will never fail the videogame industry! They will live on forever!
-----------------

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2002, 07:46:50 PM »
Though I do not like XBox we must face the facts. GCN kinda sucks. Thats right I said it. I own it and like it and do not wish to part with it but it does have many flaws. The biggest is that Nintendo isn't making too many good games for it. There are a few but every time I open a new issue of GI both Sony and Microsoft have many games in preview Nintendo has one or two and usually they dont look too good. Sony and Microsoft both have many games in review most good many mediocre and some bad Nintendo has a couple either both bad one good and one mediocre or both mediocre. If the big N doesnt pull its head out of its *** soon they could very well be crushed over the years.

« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2002, 08:40:24 PM »
Microsft's doing trial and error, but they're doing more error than trial.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: Nintendo may not have the best of the best graphics, but they make the best games out of everyone. M$ may have Halo and all that other crap, but you remember that M$ and Sony get other idiots to make their games and do their dirty work. Nintendo balences out their branches, puting in equal effort to all areas. M$ and Sony only put effort into games.

Also, have you noticed that whenever Xbox fanboys (those sick, twisted children) defend the Xbox, they defend it with Halo? What the heck is up with that? Halo was like, a launch game. It's over. They're going fast as they can to get out Halo 2, but it won't have the same effect. It'll just be one more thing added to the list of respectable Xbox games, which is pathetic: Halo, and Blinx.

I am FLUDD, the Flash Liquidizing Ultra Dousing Device. I hope to be of assistance.

Now threatening to sue Nintendo for not giving us water guns anything special for working our butts off in SMS.
I am FLUDD, the Flash Liquidizing Ultra Dousing Device. I hope to be of assistance.

Sue successfull. I''d be looking forward to a lot of Japanese text in video games since their main translator quit for letting me push them around. Oh well, I could hire my own translator now!

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2002, 01:32:32 AM »
Yeah...
Ooze, I have to say YOU'RE SO WRONG...
Anyway... It doesn't matter what magazines say about the games, as long as I know they're good. SFA and SMS rock. Agreed?
Nintendo is the best! WooHOo!

Ooh Heh
Ooh Heh
That was a joke.

Mario Maniac

• Loose buttons
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2002, 12:55:32 PM »
Now that I realize it, Xbox isn't too bad. Despite it having bad sales in Japan (Japan seems to dislike American companies and products), the Xbox has some decency left in it.

The new Controller S - a SMALLER, better designed version of the Xbox controller - is one of the better controllers I've used (GameCube's is the best, though). The main buttons are placed perfectly, in the traditional circular pattern seen on the Dreamcast controller. The dual analog sticks react pretty well, though not as good as GameCube's! The new Controller S may ease some gamers who thought the original controller was too big and bulky (like us)!

The Xbox may be doing poorly in Japan, but it is doing very well in other parts of the world - mainly the U.S. Since Microsoft is based in the U.S., they are mainly marketing the Xbox to the American public. Xbox is also receiving success in Europe.

Microsoft's new online gaming service - Xbox Live - has recieved tons of support from big third-party companies. That is Microsoft's key strategy for cementing their Xbox into the world of video gamers!

Microsoft also has plenty of experience with PC games. They develop and publish their own line of popular PC games; now Microsoft is simply trying a new form of entertainment with home consoles.

Even if the Xbox fails, Microsoft will still have plenty of money left to make a comeback - which they obviously will. Microsoft has already made plans for an Xbox2!

NOTE: I am NOT an Xbox fanboy. I love Nintendo and their games/systems dearly, and I would never think about switching to a newbie like Microsoft anytime soon. I'm just saying that we should give Microsoft a chance, they may turn out to be the next dominant console manufacturer (unlikely, but still possible).
---------------------------------------------

Nintendo is still the best, though.

Print