Print

Author Topic: Where's Yoshi?  (Read 3262 times)

« on: April 20, 2003, 03:54:45 PM »
It seems like all of the big Mario stars have too big of an ego and ask for far too high of a price to star in a game, and Nintendo can only afford so many of them at a time. Mario, Luigi, and Wario each have to have their own games now. Yoshi too was this way for awhile but I guess he's hit hard times and had to sign up for a role in Super Mario Sunshine.

So, do you think they'll be a stand alone Yoshi game for the Gamecube anytime soon?

Kweeh! Forget Whark! Kweeh! Is better!
Kweeh! Kweeh! Yes, Kweeh forever!

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2003, 06:26:21 PM »
Yes... The problem I see with Yoshi in a 3 dimensional game is his abilities, and how they'd relate with a 3D environment.

Such as 360 degree egg-throwing. And what about the long tongue? Plus, an infinite hover-jump in a 3D environment may be a problem.

Somehow. That's my best guess. Though I don't see why Yoshi doesn't have an NGC release scheduled as of yet.

Congratulations! You have just been blessed by the wisdom of Steve.
~I.S.~

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2003, 09:27:31 PM »
To me, a "just Yoshi" game (especially 3D) wouldn't seem right. Yoshi's Story was different as a just Yoshi game because it was 2D and they were baby Yoshis, but a 3D one similar to that just doesn't seem like it would work, but hey. I could just be being narrow-minded.
That was a joke.

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2003, 12:03:07 AM »
dunno where yoshis gone! It would be cool for him to be on GCN without Mario,i enjoy those games more!

Im the king,
you dino-guy,
ill smash you now,
so say goodbye!
Find your inner monkey.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2003, 12:18:26 AM »
I think it'd be kind of cool!  The egg-throwing WOULD be a problem, though, but maybe he could just shoot straight forward, and use a sniper/1st person-view mode to shoot the eggs. GO YOSHI FOREVER!!

--------------------
If things don''t go your way, just keep complaining until your dreams come true.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2003, 05:21:49 PM »
Ah, poor Yoshi.  He hasn't gotten much attention since Yoshi's Story, and even that pales next to Yoshi's Island.
And it also seems like online Yoshi fandom has been waning.  I don't know how much of a concern this is to anybody here, but a lot of Yoshi fans seem to be losing interest for some reason or another.  I know there was much complaint about the way Yoshi was portrayed in Smash Bros. Melee...  It seems that many Yoshi fans will never be pleased... Perhaps this is a cause of the lack of attention on Yoshi... Or perhaps the other way around.

I dunno.  Even so, I can't think of a good way for Yoshi to fit into a 3D environment.  I just hope that SOMEthing happens in the future...

Go Moon!
Go Moon!

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2003, 07:54:16 PM »
I hope they figure out something so Yoshi can be in another game of his own. Sadly, I too, have noticed the Yoshi rage die down. I confess I am one of them. Yoshi is still my fave Nintendo character, but I'm not as Yoshi-obsessed as I used to. Although I AM still him in any selectable character game, except for SSBM. I find Peach the easiest to control there.

*Sniffle* Come back sweet, little Yoshi...

Actually, I think Mario 128 or the next big Mario game should have Yoshi as a selectable character, where he can also pair up with Mario or another character. See "Let's design the perfect Mario game" topic under one of my ideas.

--------------------
If things don''t go your way, just keep complaining until your dreams come true.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2003, 09:07:01 PM »
They used a Yoshi's Story level as a demo to show what the GBA could do, so Yoshi's Story Advance might be coming out soon.

Personally I didn't much care for Yoshi's Story, but I didn't give it much of a chance since it didn't have Mario in it.  Some people have said that Super Mario Advance 4 might be Yoshi's Story, but without Mario that would be stupid.  I hope SMA4 is either SMB3 or a new SMB game.

See the screenshots at

http://www.the-warp-zone.com/SuperMarioKingdom/Games/GameBoyAdvance/YoshisStoryAdvance.htm
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2003, 09:14:39 PM »
Ah, Yoshi's Story. My interest in that game was .... meteoric? I mean, I was hooked on that game for about 2 weeks. And then I just lost all interest in it! I mean, Yoshi's Story is the only Mario game I can honestly say I have FORGOTTEN HOW TO PLAY. Bleh.

And I'm STILL waiting for a "Lost Levels" editon of YI. Well, not Lost Levels, just a far harder set of YI levels than the original.

~I.S.~

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2003, 10:11:51 PM »
Heh, that, Insane Steve, is one of the reasons I'm trying to recreate the Yoshi's Island engine in MMF.

Dag, I hope I can finish this...

Go Moon!
Go Moon!

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2003, 10:30:38 PM »
Okay, YS may seem easy. Very easy. Beat in 30 minutes easy. But have you ever tried beating the game in getting JUST melons? Now THAT'S hard. I was able to do it 100% only once.

--------------------

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2003, 12:03:17 AM »
That was weird for a while... Yoshi's Story, Kirby 64, Star Fox 64... all these "beat 'em in 45 minutes" games... I'd say SF64 was the best. I really liked YS when I first got it, but the control is a little clumsy. But I still really like it whenever I play it. Weird.

Anyway, personally, I think Yoshi is best when teamed with Mario (especially Baby Mario... heh--oh, and in SMS).

Oh yes, I finally got a 100 in Secret 5 a few days ago... BWAAHAHA
Now I need to find the other 3 red coins in Secret 6...
That was a joke.

Fifth

• Quadruped
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2003, 12:39:04 AM »
Hmm... but the difficulty of getting 30 melons in each level of Yoshi's Story is a different sort of difficulty... one that springs from tedium and irritation.

It's like, you get 90% of the way through the level, and then something happens.  Maybe you realize that there was a melon at the beginning that somehow got destroyed because you didn't find it quickly enough, or maybe you missed a race by a second and so only got 6 melons from it, or couldn't find all of the melons that appeared when you hit the ! switch, or other such events, which means - OH JOY! - it's time to restart the level!!   The ENTIRE level?  Yup, the ENTIRE level!!  Many of their "secrets" spring from this kind of cruelty.  Miss slightly, and you're forced to redo everything, because the "checkpoint" system is flawed at best, and the concept of lives...  It's interesting, but the fact that you get scored for the number of lives remaining...  And even if you didn't miss a melon in such a way that it can't be recovered, you'll usually end up sniffing around the level three times over before you get anything.

Nah.  Yoshi or not, there were just too many things that weren't done very well in that game.

Go Moon!
Go Moon!

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2003, 08:50:42 PM »
If you EVER get that engine running, I can get you a few really.... "interesting" levels I made. They're quite hard. Secret 5 hard, not Extra 5 hard.

~I.S.~

Print