Print

Author Topic: Handheld Brawl...  (Read 1931 times)

« on: August 23, 2004, 09:53:31 AM »
Here it is, folks, the official show-down between the two top competitors in today's gaming society! In the blue corner, we have the Sony Playstation Portable! With it's wide screen, crisp and smooth graphics, and multimedia functions, this little punk acts like he's nobody's bussines!
And in the red corner, we have the one, the only, NINTENDO DS! With it's dual screen, touch-sensitiviteyes-ess-ness, and the essential copyrights to be able to produce Mario games for it, this is one guy who won't go down without a great fight. Let's get this show on da road!

Innovative: DS- Has two screens, one of which is touch-sensitive, to opening up new gaming possibilities
    Mobility: Tie- Though the PSP is less bulky than the DS, the DS folds up to protect the screens, unlike the PSP.
    Controls*: PSP- The DS's stylus control system will probably be harder to adjust to for Nintendo gamers, yet the PS user will be able to play with their classic controls.
    Compatibility: DS- Can play GB games
    Wireless Tech: Tie. Both systems have the Wi-Fi technology (Don't know enough statistics about this to declare a winner.)
   Screens: DS- Though the PSP has a much larger screen (480 x 272 pixels) than the DS screens (256 x 192 pixels), the DS has two freakin screens!
    Graphics: PSP- Sony wins hands down on this one; The PSP's graphics are supposed to be nearly as great as its ancestor, the PS2
    Multi-Media: PSP- ATRAC 3+ audio format, plus MPEG 4 and PCM. On the video side, it can handle MPEG 4 and Caption PNG. The media comes in little mini-discs, which will have to be specially manufactured for the PSP, unlike the PS2. Media can be downloaded onto the PSP via PC (?)
Games: DS- Which games are going to be better- games taken straight from the PS2 onto the PSP, or brand new games with totally new concepts for the DS?
Price: DS- The DS is $150, the PSP is $200

Other little snippets:

DS has voice recognition. Sweeeeeeet!
PSP will not only be able to communicate w/ other PSPs, Sony recently announced, but it will also be able to collaborate w/ the future PS3

Questions and Concerns:

First thing's first: Concerning the DS, you know that game on PS2 where you draw your own guy and he becomes animated...?!? (cough cough)

Does anyone know if the PSP just plays the music and videos, or if it will actually be able to store them. If so, how much will it be able to store? I ask this 1. out of curiousity 2. If it can store more than 20 gigs I'm automatically buyin it, sorry NOA

Best Game On The DS: Metroid Hunters. The graphics are sick and it looks awesome!

Please comment!

Edited by - boomstix on 8/24/2004 3:25:35 PM
BOOM is for BOOMSTIX!

« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 11:32:13 AM »
I'm sure the PSP will be nice, but I haven't seen a game that I'd actually like to play, wheras with the DS, I want to play pretty much all of the games. Also, PSP will probably be really expensive, and the DS will be under $200. So, I'm getting a DS.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 05:46:22 PM »
>Mobility- PSP- Is much more sleek and probably easier to carry around

I disagree.  The DS folds up and the PSP does not.  This means it is easier to get the (large) PSP screen scratched.  Also, PSP has less battery life so it is less mobile in that regard as well.

Appearance*: DS- Much more cool looking than the PSP (well at least the second edition)

Uhh...

>Controls*: PSP- The DS's stylus control system will probably be pretty hard to get used to

Probably true, but the PSP analog nub seems like it is in an awkward position, which just leaves ABXYLR+ on both systems.

>Compatibility: DS- Can play GB games (rumors about only playing GBA games, somebody please clarify this)

NOA has said it will only play GBA games

>Wireless Tech: Tie. Both systems have the Wi-Fi technology (Don't know enough statistics about this to declare a winner, if I could get some input about this)

They both support 16-player local play, so the two important (and unknown) factors are online playability and power drain.  Pictochat might help if Sony doesn't have anything similar (which is hard without a touchscreen and/or stylus).  Sharing games over wireless is another plus for DS.

>Screen Size: DS- Though the PSP has a much larger screen (480 x 272 pixels) than the DS (256 x 192 pixels), the DS has two freakin screens! (Like 512 x 384!)

Umm learn some math... that would be 256x384... still less than PSP.

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 07:54:17 PM »
Jeez, what the heck is up with this forum? I've had this up for more than three days and I've only gotten two replies...?
BOOM is for BOOMSTIX!

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2004, 09:55:07 AM »
MEGAߥTE's reply covered so much, and there have been a few other posts similiar to yours.
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2004, 08:25:04 PM »
k this topic can be closed obviously no one wants to post in it
BOOM is for BOOMSTIX!

Print