Print

Author Topic: Dearly missed members.  (Read 97035 times)

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #270 on: January 22, 2006, 10:13:45 PM »
While I don't know what specifically happened, I do know that he is, in fact, banned, and the reason listed is "Disregard for rules and guidelines." Other than that, I know nothing more, and the other mods/admins are either wondering what happened as well, or they haven't said anything.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #271 on: January 22, 2006, 10:16:30 PM »
But, is it even true that you warned him about posting too much in a PM? If you didn't, that could be a reason. Framing you.

Sapphira

• Inquiring
« Reply #272 on: January 22, 2006, 10:25:58 PM »
[I am not stupid] Maybe I am taking things a little serious; its just that I got a PM from a mod saying Sapph was gonna ban me for posting too much.
Note the wording. He never said I said it; he said another mod told him that. I never sent him a PM, nor warned or threatened him; I did find him very annoying, though. People shouldn't put words in my mouth.
"The surest way to happiness is to lose yourself in a cause greater than yourself."

« Reply #273 on: January 22, 2006, 10:29:35 PM »
Hm... Is the impersonator of Luigison on these boards?

If so, it could be him. Not that this has anything to do with him being banned.

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #274 on: January 22, 2006, 10:37:43 PM »
I trust the Mods'  judgement, so whoever it was that did ban him probably had reason to do so; so you all should just leave it at that instead of causing all this hubbub. He didn't really ever post anything worth reading anyway, I don't miss him.

« Reply #275 on: January 22, 2006, 10:39:11 PM »
TEM, you're always so cruel. :(

« Reply #276 on: January 22, 2006, 11:31:08 PM »
TEM, you're always so cool. 8)

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #277 on: January 22, 2006, 11:43:21 PM »
See, what bothers me is the exhorbitantly vague written reason for the ban.

I'd assume that every person ever banned this forum was banned due to "disregard for rules and guidelines."

Way I see it, if a G-Mod/Admin has a bone to pick with a member, they can merely ban for personal reasons and claim it to be a "disregard for rules and guidelines." I see no such disregard in any of Mr. Melee's posts. While they might not have been the most eloquent posts, they don't seem to break any rules. At all.

So I take it banning for no reason and claiming it to be a "disregard for rules and guidelines" is kosher, now? Show me any specfic instance of a post by Mr. Melee that violates a rule on the forums and I will retract this comment. I certainly don't see it.

As for you, TEM, I think your post may spark hubbub instead of discouraging it. What you basically do is insult the regular members' intelligence by rebuking them for questioning the mods' reasoning for something. I can't exactly fault you for not liking someone; I certainly feel that way about certain people, as well. But I don't think you can say that the mods' judgement is, by default, obviously better than anyone else's, Having been an admin of a large forum several years ago, I can look back and say that my judgement hasn't always been spot-on.

In conclusion, I'm slightly unnerved. For several reasons.

EDIT: Whoops. My bad.

Quote from: Deezer
Do not question or complain about moderators' actions.

Found this on the rules and guidelines thread. I can't say I agree with this, but that'd be questioning the higher-ups' judgement. Can't be doing that, a-nope.

(If this post seems frustrated, that's because it is. It is also somewhat tired. It's late.)

EDIT THE SECOND: From what I read on another thread, the reason for the ban was, most likely, asking for a custom title (which, to me, seems a bit of a trifling reason for a ban, a sort of "I don't like you so I'll overblow a minor transgression" -- which I hope [and assume] isn't the case.) or, more likely [I hope], posting private type messages on a public thread with little to do on that thread. Which, again, seems a bit trifling, but is a lot more severe than merely asking for a custom title.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 12:28:52 AM by Insane Steve »
~I.S.~

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #278 on: January 23, 2006, 12:27:04 AM »
That's exactly what I think, Steve. His last post was just a topic that was already made. That's happened thousands of times, and not even particularly with him.

Weird, but I only want one that isn't for being bad/doing something annoying!
Which is entirely true.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

TEM

« Reply #279 on: January 23, 2006, 04:36:26 PM »

But I don't think you can say that the mods' judgement is, by default, obviously better than anyone else's, Having been an admin of a large forum several years ago, I can look back and say that my judgement hasn't always been spot-on.

Found this on the rules and guidelines thread. I can't say I agree with this, but that'd be questioning the higher-ups' judgement. Can't be doing that, a-nope.

This is a forum, not a country in the grip of communist control. If the posters are unhappy with the rules and guidelines that the Mods have set regarding "Moderator discretion" they can very easily leave and post in a "friendlier" forum. There can't be a violation of human rights in this place because there aren't any humans around, just the messages they sent to the board with their computers. You are debating with points that would have weight in the real world, but we aren't there, man.

« Reply #280 on: January 23, 2006, 04:47:13 PM »
Steve is saying that your only reason for thinking he should be banned, is because you think mods and admins are always right.

I wish an admin would say the whole story and end this conversation. Sapph, I.S., and mabey even LD doesn't know yet, which seems a little strange.

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #281 on: January 23, 2006, 04:48:22 PM »
^

I agree with The Egg Man
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #282 on: January 23, 2006, 04:50:59 PM »
If Sapph, I.S., LD, Suffix, Luigison and Fifth don't know what exactly is going on, then I agree with Khold. Deezer or Chup should clear things up for us, because I sure would like to know why Mr.Melee is "muted." If they don't know, I don't know who does, because I'm still fairly new and don't know all of the active mods/admins. Someone has banned Mr.Melee, that's for sure, and maybe all of this discussion would stop (and possibly prevent some future banning?) if someone brought us out of the dark. Just a suggestion.

« Reply #283 on: January 23, 2006, 04:51:21 PM »
You think he should be banned without knowing the whole story? And that the mod/admin's decisions are always right?
I agree with The Egg Man
« Last Edit: January 23, 2006, 04:53:48 PM by Khold »

TEM

« Reply #284 on: January 23, 2006, 04:56:44 PM »
When in my post did I say anything about Wrong Vs. Right?

Print