Print

Author Topic: Wario Ware Wii  (Read 4719 times)

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« on: May 07, 2006, 02:02:56 PM »
An excerpt from TIME magazine (May 15 edition)

Nintendo gave TIME the first look at its new controller--but before I pick it up, Miyamoto suggests that I remove my jacket. That turns out to be a good idea. The first game I try--Miyamoto walks me through it, which to a gamer is the rough equivalent of getting to trade bons mots with Jerry Seinfeld--is a Warioware title (Wario being Mario's shorter, fatter evil twin). It consists of dozens of manic five-second mini games in a row. They're geared to the Japanese gaming sensibility, which has a zany, cartoonish, game-show bent. In one hot minute, I use the controller to swat a fly, do squat-thrusts as a weight lifter, turn a key in a lock, catch a fish, drive a car, sauté some vegetables, balance a broom on my outstretched hand, color in a circle and fence with a foil. And yes, dance the hula. Since very few people outside Nintendo have seen the new hardware, the room is watching me closely.

It's a remarkable experience. Instead of passively playing the games, with the new controller you physically perform them. You act them out. It's almost like theater: the fourth wall between game and player dissolves. The sense of immersion--the illusion that you, personally, are projected into the game world--is powerful. And there's an instant party atmosphere in the room. One advantage of the new controller is that it not only is fun, it looks fun. When you play with an old-style controller, you look like a loser, a blank-eyed joystick fondler. But when you're jumping around and shaking your hulamaker, everybody's having a good time.

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2006, 02:19:37 PM »
Apart from the title, that sounds pretty cool. about that last sentence...

When you play with an old-style controller, you look like a loser, a blank-eyed joystick fondler. But when you're jumping around and shaking your hulamaker, everybody's having a good time.

Yeah...If I saw a person jumping around like that, I'd think Psycho.

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 05:09:11 PM »
Geez, Nintendo likes using Wario Ware as a way of testing anything they produce huh?

Heh heh, joystick fondler. There's so many things wrong with that phrase.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2006, 03:54:34 PM »
A way of testing? What do you mean?

No two WarioWares have had the same control method, so naturally Wii was next.

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2006, 06:55:10 PM »
WarioWare was used to test the DS's touch screen, the GBA's motion-sensitive thing, the GameCube, and finally, the motion-sensitive capabilities of the Wii.
"MY FAVORITE PART WAS WHEN RICK ASTLEY SAID HE'D NEVER LET ME DOWN" - Cosbydaf

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2006, 11:27:40 PM »
I wouldn't really call it "testing". They're released games, not tech demos or something.

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2006, 05:32:22 PM »
another wario ware game coming out? man, nintendo is robbing us fans until bankrupt. but its totally worth playing warioware on wii in my cardboard box.

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2006, 07:52:14 PM »
Yeah, WarioWare isn't really replayable. It fustrates me so much that the fuse on the bomb goes out faster and faster and you have to work harder. I sweat from playing it sometimes!
My sister is a...(insert threat here)

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2006, 08:36:10 PM »
I want this game. The previews looked so cool!
"I don't know why they're called boyshorts! Boys don't wear shorts that short!" - Mitchie

NBCGod

• Banned
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2006, 12:36:01 AM »
Yeah but it looks kind of gimmicky. Like putting the controller on your waist and making a motion like a hoola-hoop.

Print