Print

Author Topic: What you think about while mowing the lawn (or doing some other banal chore)  (Read 5751 times)

« on: August 21, 2006, 12:09:27 PM »
I was mowing the lawn today, which is alright, a chore that I'm kinof half and half about.  While I was mowing I was thinking about making this thread.  You see, when I mowe, I don't think about mowing, I think about anything else I can because it is such an arid task.  Here in this thread, write what you were thinking about while doing an uninteresting task of yours, for example maybe mowing.  Here is what I was thinking.

I was thinking about when I was in 8th grade, I had to do a written state essay about the fight for womens rights.  Lets just say I'd rather would have been doing anything else (even mowing).  So instead of writing facts and events in the essay, it was all about my oppinion.  And I wrote exactly what I thought, which I think in my case was non-offensive.  I am sure of that because it was handed to my parents whom were angry at the teachers for treating me wrongly for stateing my opinion.  What I wrote abut was that Women should forget about what they weren't aloud to do in the past and now think about what they can do now, but I did not talk about my opinion on women's rights NOW such as equal treatment and payment in the workforce, and overall equal treatment.  This thought about this incident made me move to another thought.

I thought to myself "If women are talking about equal treatment everywhere, does that mean that they would like men to stop opening doors for them, and almost bending over backwards for them?"  I know bending over backwards is a more exteme word than I should have used, but out of my whole life I can only name a couple of times where women opened the door for me.  It's always the little things that do me in, I like it when clerks try to strike up a conversation, or when they say have a nice day I like to say "You too"  I do this because I know if I were them I would want them to do the same.  Or when I walk into Best Buy and the guy at the opening say "Welcome, how are you today?"  I like to smile and say "Thank you, mines fine hows yours?"  I mean people could just say it and not even mean it, but that guy means it, and so are most of the clerks that I talk to, they may not at first, but once they know I do, they care.  I guess its just the fact that I'm leaving someone with a smile on their face, I love that feeling.

Well, back on topic.  The equal rights thing made me think, if a women hits you and wont stop, and is actually out to hurt you, are you aloud to hit her back?  Don't misinterperate this becuase I'm not for hitting women ever.  It's just, what if they were like on you, punching you, should you have the right to defend yourself.  Do you have the right to defend yourself?  Or what if you were in the work place, no wait, ANY PLACE, and a women said something to you that kind of struck you dumb, like something a contruction worker would say.  Could you file harassment towards them?  I guess I may never know, I hope I don't find myself in any situation like that.

I guess the whole basis, or what you could gain from my thinking is that there are alot boundaries between men and women as far as how we are equal or unequal.  I think those boundaries are set by what people think is right and wrong, but as you could tell from this whole forum, people have different opinions.  And I don't think that everyone is going to agree with one opinion ever.

*Please keep in mind that this whole thread is not about womens rights, although you can comment on what I thought about while mowing the lawn, still feel free to post what you think about in boring situations, or just situations that just make you think*
I only watch [adult swim]

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 01:31:26 PM »
When I mow the lawn, I laways listen to something good and loud. I don't think. Usually its a bit of Opeth or some Dream Theater. But today, I mixed it up with some the Mars Volta.

In response to your post, I could go on and on about the woman's rights things, but I choose to withhold my opninion, untill perhaps later when I might share.

On another note about woman's rights inreference to holding doors and the like, I have a short anecdote. As I walked out of the band one day, a lady of about 70 was approacing the bank. Like usual, I held the door open for her. She kindly tipped her hat, and said "thanks." However, in a similar situation at the same bank, I encountered a young woman who was maybe 23. I held the door open for her, and I got quite a mouthfull about how "you men think you are better than us women. You can stand up while going to the bathroom, you think you are so great..." I turned off my ears at that point.
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2006, 01:48:40 PM »
I daydream. About stories I want to write or things I want to draw. Ninety percent of the time, I never write or draw these things.
"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2006, 02:36:28 PM »
Yeah, same here, I have the potential, but I guess I'm a little lathargic, its a bad habbit of mine.
I only watch [adult swim]

TEM

• THE SOVIET'S MOST DANGEROUS PUZZLE.
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2006, 02:40:19 PM »
I usually write music in my head when cutting grass. I would listen to music, but the mower is just way too loud.

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2006, 02:40:54 PM »
I don't mow the lawn (or any other type of chore except for replacing the garbage bag in my room).

My room is kept relatively clean at all times, so there's not much of a need for vacuuming, dusting, or any type of cleaning.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

Insane Steve

• Professional Cynic
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2006, 02:48:16 PM »
On another note about woman's rights inreference to holding doors and the like, I have a short anecdote. As I walked out of the band one day, a lady of about 70 was approacing the bank. Like usual, I held the door open for her. She kindly tipped her hat, and said "thanks." However, in a similar situation at the same bank, I encountered a young woman who was maybe 23. I held the door open for her, and I got quite a mouthfull about how "you men think you are better than us women. You can stand up while going to the bathroom, you think you are so great..." I turned off my ears at that point.

*vomit*

Here's the solution. Don't hold doors for anyone anymore. If someone tells you you're rude, recite that anecdote. Seriously. What does standing to go to the bathroom have to do with holding doors? I mean, women can stand, too, it just requires a bit of practice. Ya. I've had experiences with women who think that existing is a sign of you condescending upon them.

If a woman attacks me for whatever reason (it's never happened yet and I can't forsee it), I see NO PROBLEM with hitting back in self-defense. At all. The problem with women's "rights" in today's backwards society is that a lot of people think that "equal" means "give women unfair advantages because our ancestor discriminated against their ancestors." It's kind of sad how women try to get girls in the Boy Scouts instead of trying to eliminate real injustices like the wage gap.

Anyways, on topic. I usually design puzzles. Or recall things. Hard to describe. I sometimes think of things VERY similar to what you stated. Huh.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 03:02:49 PM by Insane Steve »
~I.S.~

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2006, 02:50:48 PM »
I don't mow the lawn.  I'm supposed to, but I never get around to do it before my neighbor does it.  It really makes my mother angry when he does it though, saying I should have done it.  He somehow knows the day I plan on mowing the lawn, and does it before I wake up.  It's kinda annoying how I intend to do it, but he ends up making me look bad.  It's not too bad though, I get out of doing some work.
"We are just an advanced breed of monkeys on a minor planet of a very average star. But we can understand the Universe. That makes us something very special." Stephen Hawking

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2006, 03:05:36 PM »
Whatever song is in my head at the time plays over and over and over.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2006, 03:07:14 PM »
I usually just think about how much I'd rather be back here posting, or chatting in #tmk.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

AbercrombieBaseball

• FitchPitch
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2006, 03:39:17 PM »
I usually think about baseball or my friends. Sometimes I bring the portable radio with me so I can listen to a ballgame with headphones if there's one going on when I mow. (Usually I try to avoid mowing when there's a game on and I'm not out doing something with my friends though).

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2006, 04:32:12 PM »
I post what I think as soon as I get a lawn mower.

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2006, 04:51:19 PM »
When I mow the lawn, all I think about is getting it straight, and girls. If a girl is watching me, I TRY (listen to what I say) to look cool.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2006, 06:19:33 PM »
Well, while mowing I usually talk to myself out loud or sing really really quietly because no one can hear me.

When I'm lying in bed trying to fall asleep, I usually do what Screech does and think up stories.  Mostly the same one, but not always...
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2006, 07:46:52 PM »
I think about life, the universe, and everything.
That was a joke.

Print