Poll

What should I get?

Mario Kart DS
3 (37.5%)
Super Mario 64 DS
5 (62.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Print

Author Topic: Super Mario 64 VS Super Mario 64 DS  (Read 5711 times)

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« on: November 06, 2006, 04:02:34 PM »
I had the orginal before, but thanks to me and my penny-pinching, I can only get one. So I ask you, Fungi Forumer's, what should I get? I've been thinking with the port, but is it as good as the 64 version? Are the character/enemy designs improved? Are the graphics better? Worse? Or just about the same? What about new characters? More Stars? New Levels? More Items? Please! I need to know!
Just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2006, 04:54:23 PM »
Super Mario 64 DS
  • No new main levels, but a few more secret levels.
  • ]more stars.
  • The characters are about the same, but there are a few changes.
  • The graphics are much better
  • Many new Items
  • Four more additional characters

Super Mario 64
  • Much cheaper
  • The controls are better than the DS version (although a DS lite will make the DS version control almost on par with the original)
The Verdict
If you have a DS lite, get the DS version, no questions asked. If you have an old DS, I would still recommend the DS version, unless you despise the DS control pad and can not use it at all.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2006, 07:54:00 PM »
Obviously, you should get both.
It's kind of one of those things though, that it's harder to play the original once you experience the much better controls of the revamped version.
SM64 has terrible control for a game these days, much like Ocarina of Time. It's hard to go back to that level of klunkiness.
That was a joke.

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2006, 07:56:53 PM »
If you've already played SM64, then there's no need to buy it for the Wii Virtual Console (they're the exact same game). So get SM64DS.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2006, 10:54:20 PM »
Eh, I didn't have many big issues with the the Ds's D-pad over anolog stick controls. The DS's touch screen simulates the Nintendo 64's anolog stick, so if you really hate the D-pad, you can you use the touch screen. SM64DS also has more characters to play as, more stars to collect and more courses to explore. However, none of these extra courses are major levels like the other 15 levels, but it's nice to have something to do after beating all 15 of SM64DS's levels.

Also, SM64 didn't have MultiPlayer. Okay, Multiplayer in SM64DS wasn't big, new, or immensely interesting, but it's still good for some quick, harmless fun for you and your friends. Plus, enhanced graphics are always a plus.

In conclusion: SM64DS is the definate buy. SM64 for the Virtual console is basically the same thing as SM64 for the N64, while SM64DS is a widly improved version of the classic game.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2006, 11:56:43 PM »
SM64DS.  It has a ton of great minigames.  Control really isn't a problem, either.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2006, 10:24:34 PM »
SM64DS. More in-depth story, if only a tiny tiny bit, more playable characters (four is mathematically more than one), more stars for a longer quest, better graphics, better sound, portability, and mini games that are actually worth playing. I think that speaks for itself.
I forgot to mention the new white-door-framed room of death. Yay!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 10:30:14 PM by Bird Person »
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2006, 12:12:31 PM »
Okay now, new question. What should I get first? the kinda port Mario Kart DS, or the other port of Super Mario 64 DS? I need an answer today!!!

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2006, 01:08:58 PM »
I'm curious as to why you consider Mario Kart DS a "kinda port"...
Today's actually... nobody's birthday!  Quick, hurry up and make a baby!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2006, 03:18:42 PM »
Perhaps because it has many tracks from other games.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2006, 03:34:42 PM »
Yeah, all those Retro Cups are like a port. Hmmmm, one vote for MKDS... Anyone else?

« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2006, 03:05:25 PM »
I agree, get Mario Kart DS.

SushieBoy

• Giddy fangirl
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2006, 09:27:22 PM »
I already did. :) A mod can lock this now.

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2006, 10:35:58 AM »
Get Mario Kart DS, so far it's the best Mario Kart to ever come out.
My sister is a...(insert threat here)

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2006, 12:03:57 PM »
Can you not read, sir?
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

Print