Print

Author Topic: The Toon Discussion Thread  (Read 78000 times)

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #165 on: September 02, 2006, 08:07:53 PM »

So did Dexter. That was McCracken and Tartakovsky's thing. There's also tons of references to all sorts of anime, action cartoons, sci-fi films and other such things.

Ah, yes.  Dexter's Laboratory was awesome.

As for PPG, I loved how they'd put some sort of Nintendo reference in. (The Mayor playing a game that STRONGLY resembled The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, in which he kept killing the 'Navi'.  O' great Mayor of Townsville, please give us your secret to killing Navi. XP)
Regards, Uncle Dolan

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #166 on: September 03, 2006, 08:00:28 AM »
I figured I'd up the ante a bit and put out a topic for us to post about: Underrated Cartoons.
Post which cartoons you think are underrated. The ones that are actually good but don't get the attention they deserve. It can be from the present day, or it can a cartoon that existed way back when but isn't remembered much anymore. Just be sure to state which of these it is.

For me:

My Life as a Teenage Robot (This is a show that was on nick a couple years back. It currently reruns on the Nicktoons Network. Obviously it wasn't popular enough because it didn't last as long as the other Nicktoons.)
I admit it. I like this one. Especially the art style. It's like half anime and half classic. Heck, there are even references to 30's cartoons sprinkled about. There was even a huge Mario reference in one particular episode. I also like the premise, which is about a world-saving robot that has the physical age of a high school student. Not bad, if I do say so myself.

« Reply #167 on: September 03, 2006, 04:48:20 PM »
I figured I'd up the ante a bit and put out a topic for us to post about: Underrated Cartoons.
Post which cartoons you think are underrated. The ones that are actually good but don't get the attention they deserve. It can be from the present day, or it can a cartoon that existed way back when but isn't remembered much anymore. Just be sure to state which of these it is.

For me:

My Life as a Teenage Robot (This is a show that was on nick a couple years back. It currently reruns on the Nicktoons Network. Obviously it wasn't popular enough because it didn't last as long as the other Nicktoons.)
I admit it. I like this one. Especially the art style. It's like half anime and half classic. Heck, there are even references to 30's cartoons sprinkled about. There was even a huge Mario reference in one particular episode. I also like the premise, which is about a world-saving robot that has the physical age of a high school student. Not bad, if I do say so myself.

You know a new season of that is coming, right? Just saying, in case you thought it was cancelled like I did.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #168 on: September 03, 2006, 05:00:22 PM »
A new season!? Kewl!

« Reply #169 on: September 03, 2006, 05:30:35 PM »
A new season!? Kewl!

Yup. Late 2006, 13 episodes. But unfortunetly, due to low ratings, there will be no fourth season. I'm sick of animated shows getting cancelled after only three seasons...

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #170 on: September 04, 2006, 08:23:10 AM »
At least they don't get cancelled after only two, like the Saturday morning Sonic cartoon. But what other cartoons do you think are underrated?

« Reply #171 on: September 04, 2006, 08:30:31 AM »
Well, it's not like Zim was underrated, but it isn't on anymore.

I think the Fairly Odd Parents is seriously overrated. I hate that show with a fiery passion.

Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #172 on: September 04, 2006, 08:37:00 AM »
I dunno, I kinda liked FOP. But not as much as Jimmy Neutron, which was probably underrated.

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #173 on: September 04, 2006, 08:40:50 AM »
I belive Invader ZIM was a very under-rated show. I actually enjoyed that hsow's humor, art style, and the theme: an alien trying to take over a world he doesn't understand and has no chance of doing so. It's very humorous, even the first episode. Most cartoons have a horrible first episode, mainly because it's the Pilot and meant to be experimental. The only other cartoon I can think of that had a rather good Pilot is Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends.

Jimmy Neutron is very creative, and not over-rated. However, as most cartoons, the newer episodes suck. And that really sucks.
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

« Reply #174 on: September 04, 2006, 08:53:52 AM »
Camp Lazlo had a terrible pilot, so much, in fact that I thought of never seeing it again. But as time went on, it just got funnier, so I'm still tunning in every time there's a new episode.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #175 on: September 04, 2006, 09:59:34 AM »
You want an underrated cartoon?  Time Squad was one of the greatest.  I actually had fun learning History.  It was also fun how they made fun of History.  Yeah, this show was bound to be underrated.

Also, Avatar: The Last Airbender.  This is a well-made attempt at Anime.  It has everything a good anime needs.  Yet, most of the Otaku I see on the Internet don't give it the recognition it deserves.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #176 on: September 04, 2006, 03:12:16 PM »
Holy Crap!! You just reminded me of how kick-awesome Time Squad was!! How could I forget it!?

« Reply #177 on: September 04, 2006, 07:27:43 PM »
Time Squad was great. It brings back memories of a kid, robot and cowboy traveling through time and kicking arse.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #178 on: September 05, 2006, 08:34:50 AM »
And we'd gradually learn more about those three characters.  Heh, I even made my own Time Squad character.  Can't remember her name, but she was a teen that grew up in Otto's era, and was sent to the Time Squad era to become a time spy for the force.  She would travel through time to spy on some evil genius, who was the cause of the history instability.  It was the duty of the time cops and their robot partners to correct the instability.  My character didn't have a robot partner.  She had a time traveling device on her wrist, which was similar to the watches on the Family Guy special where Stewie met his older self. (I think that's the Stewie Griffin Story)
Regards, Uncle Dolan

Mr. Melee

• DUUUUDES!!!
« Reply #179 on: September 05, 2006, 05:08:30 PM »
I've remembered perhaps one of the oddest and weirdest cartoons ever: Whatever Happened to Robot Jones? If most of you are like me (I doubt it), then you've probably forgot about this awkward cartoon. For a link, click here. This show was very odd and different, and was never a success. Hmm, it's amazing how I still remembered it, almost as amazing as how it was on again not too long ago.

I don't really think Avatar is underrated. If people don't really like it, I don't know why. The humor's humorous, even in the newer episodes (thank goodness, a new cartoon with a humor), the writers are excellent, and the drawing style is fantastic. It is one of my favorites. I hope this cartoon stays on the air for a long time, hopefully longer that Spongebob.
[22:36:29] <Mr_Melee> The day I sell my soul will be the day I sell my hair.
[22:36:44] <SolidShroom> So when you go back to Christian School?

Print