Print

Author Topic: The Toon Discussion Thread  (Read 78592 times)

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #240 on: September 24, 2006, 07:58:42 AM »
Is there anyone besides me who firggin' loved the Donkey Kong Country TV Show? I know the characters looked kind off-model and the songs (yes it had Disney-style singing in it) were bothersome, but some of the character's personalities were spot-on (especially King K.Rool and his cronies) and it actually added a half-way decent plot to a game that had next to nothing for a plot. Heck, it may done horribly here in America, but in Japan and Europe, it went pretty well-recieved. Have a look:

Japanese merchandise:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/nom/0002/03/page1.html#010203

Japanese Trading Card Game:
http://www.nintendo.co.jp/n09/don_card/card/standard/chara/index.html

I wish they put out some of this stuff in America, but sadly, the show's existance was eclipsed by the then-super-popular Pokemon. Funny how one video game TV show was more popular than another, even though both of them were from the same company. In fact, the show's popularity overseas caused Rare to use a few concepts from the show in their next game, DK64 (such as Cranky making potons, Crystal Cocouts, K.Rool's minions being idiots), sorta like what was done with Pokemon Yellow.

Now if only they'd release the show on DVD......

« Reply #241 on: September 24, 2006, 08:20:41 AM »
Totally forgot that.

Yes, I miss the DKC series terribly, and I wish I could find episodes.
I'll think of a better signature later!

« Reply #242 on: September 24, 2006, 10:04:17 AM »
Oh yeah. I remember watching DKC when I was younger. It was a neat little show. I liked it. I don't remember much of it, though. The most I can remember was the episode where the Kongs found a treasure map that said there was treasure in the mines, so the Kongs went to look for it. I remember when DK admited that he drew the map with his friends when he was younger.

Another episode I remembered was when DK entered a bizzare alternite uiniverse where the Kongs (lead by Diddy) were evil amd the kremlings were good. Instead of the crystal coconut, the two partys were fighting for the "paper-mache leaf" if I remember correctly. I think DK solved the problem by showing them the Cyrstal Coconut.
In Soviet Russia, Pokemon chooses you!

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #243 on: September 24, 2006, 12:06:46 PM »
The DKC cartoons may be the only VG cartoon other than the Supercade and Captain N that I have never seen.  I've seen episodes of all three Mario cartoons, The Legend of Zelda, Pokemon, both Sonic cartoons, Pac Man, and Kirby.  There may be a few that I may have overlooked or have never heard of.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

« Reply #244 on: September 24, 2006, 12:15:11 PM »
Both Sonic cartoons? There were actually five total.

Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog (Zany slapstick, had the robots Scratch and Grounder)
Sonic the Hedgehog (Serious weird plot about Robotnik roboticizing people)
Sonic Underground (Same as above, but Robotnik was more laid back, and Sonic fought him with music. Weird show.)
Sonic the Hedgehog: The Movie(2-episode OVA in Japan, was released on VHS/DVD here)
And then there was that Sonic X. Plagued by kiddy sidekick syndrome to the max. At least Dr. Eggman was awesome.

« Reply #245 on: September 24, 2006, 12:19:03 PM »
We're talking about Lord Harry now? Well, I hated the character designs, the lack of Kiddy Kong and the lack of Pirate/Sci-Fi themes like in DKC2 and 3 but it was entertaining.

Lol, Anime. Lol, dumb.

Please, if you're going to keep bashing anime, at least give reasons why you dislike it so much.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

« Reply #246 on: September 24, 2006, 01:43:33 PM »
DKC didn't lack pirates actually- They just weren't K. Rool's. Kaptain Skurvy played the part of a minor recurring villain, and was piratey as they come.

As for anime, I don't think it can be called good or bad. That's like saying "cartoons" are dumb. Some are good, some aren't. It's better to judge on an individual basis than to slam an entire country's selection of cartoons.

Jman

• Score
« Reply #247 on: September 24, 2006, 02:47:07 PM »
That was a good show.  I remember watching some episodes of it.
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

« Reply #248 on: September 24, 2006, 04:50:00 PM »
Lol, I believe Vid was laughing at you, not with you, my double posting friend. :P

Correct, sir.

Really, Nintendo Bros., if you want to bash something which is looked upon as really cool by a lot of the respected members here, at least do it without looking like a buffoon (though, you've proven to me a handful of times that that is impossible for you).

So, if you can't say anything nice about anime (or back up any of your opinions about it), shaddup. :D
"Be yourself. Everyone else is taken."

« Reply #249 on: September 24, 2006, 04:51:06 PM »
As for anime, I don't think it can be called good or bad. That's like saying "cartoons" are dumb. Some are good, some aren't. It's better to judge on an individual basis than to slam an entire country's selection of cartoons.

Unfortunatly, not everyone thinks like this. There are groups of people who judge an entire genre rather than individual series. Nintendo Bros happens to be in that group.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #250 on: September 24, 2006, 10:51:26 PM »
You can't even call anime a single genre. There are many different types. You have to consider the fact that there are really good anime series, pretty good series, okay ones, not too great ones, and pretty bad ones. Just like anything else.
Nintendo Bros. fails to consider this and instead judges the whole of anime based on certain visual similarities that most, and not even all, series share.
That was a joke.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #251 on: September 25, 2006, 03:09:26 PM »
Correct, sir.
Ma'am to be more precise, since I'm a female. :)
Regards, Uncle Dolan

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #252 on: September 25, 2006, 03:32:36 PM »
Anime stinks.
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

« Reply #253 on: September 25, 2006, 04:04:18 PM »
Anime stinks.

And to quote myself because I'm both egotistical and wise:

Please, if you're going to keep bashing anime, at least give reasons why you dislike it so much.

coolkid

• Totally Not Banned
« Reply #254 on: September 25, 2006, 05:03:08 PM »
Too over-dramatic.
Kick! Punch! It's all in the mind!

Print