2 (11.8%)
No, I haven't yet
4 (23.5%)
No, I don't want to
7 (41.2%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: June 30, 2007, 04:47:29 PM

Print

Author Topic: Mario Party 8: You decide  (Read 5603 times)

Super-Jesse

• Unstoppable News Machine
« on: May 31, 2007, 04:47:29 PM »
With Mario Party 8 released, I'm sure many of you have read the reviews for the game, or possibly reviewed the game yourself. This thread is a chance for everyone to put in their two cents about the game. Be it first hand impressions from buyers, or simply just what your non-buyer opinion is on the game, everything is welcome for discussion!

So, what do you think?

<Kojinka> When I saw this thread back on top, I was afraid this was gonna be another pointless bump by a new member, but when I saw Super-Jesse's username, my fears were laid to rest.

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 05:01:59 PM »
No Wi-fi. Lame. Yes, I have real life friends but they'd rather play Super Smash Bros., and if I wanted to tape them to the wall and play a Mario Party, I have Mario Party 4.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 05:29:41 PM »
I didn't buy it and I don't want it. Party games aren't much fun when you're playing by yourself.
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 06:17:53 PM »
I did wish it had wi-fi, but it looks awesome regardless. The only thing that's really holding me back is money, it's not that I don't have enough, but it's because my parents are in a situation where they'd rather me not spend too much, as well as me only having one Wii Remote.
I'm a horrible person.

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 06:20:57 PM »
I don't want it, but I'll probably get it because the kids love the series and they're good for keeping them quiet.

I wonder why they didn't wait to release it during the holiday season like the past 3 entries. Guess with 3 heavy hitters showing up by the end of the year, there's no need to release another Party at the same time.
As a game that requires six friends, an HDTV, and skill, I can see why the majority of TMK is going to hate on it hard.

Kojinka

• Bruised
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 11:47:18 PM »
Shoulda had wi-fi.  Coulda been a factor that could breathe new life to the Mario Party games.  If I want to get a Mario Party game, I'd get one of the earlier ones.
Regards, Uncle Dolan

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 11:53:42 PM »
I think it should be made to FIT the title. When you do to a video game-less party, do you play board games and mini games? No, you could play a wide variety of games--card games, Pool, etc. But what's a Mario game without... bombs?! Imagine, poker with BOMBS. Pool, with BOMBS. I'm not saying the mini games and boards need to be thrown away, but if all you do at parties is play board games you have pretty lame parties. Of course, when we host parties ourselves, video games are probably the main focus, so maybe the whole idea of a party video game is redundant...
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2007, 02:58:15 AM »
Okay, I just picked this up and played two 20-turn rounds with 4 humans.

MEGAߥTE, who had never played a Mario Party before apparently, said that he found it really slow in pacing, but it is actually faster then any other Mario Party yet because you can point and use your items instead of selecting things through a menu. Other than that, it's exactly the same pacing as the last 7, so I didn't find it slow - I found it normal.

The minigames are the same as always, too. You've got your racing, your being pulled behind a boat, your trying not to fall off a platform into lava, your escaping death from a player in a large vehicle, and your completely random bomb diffusing game where everyone heatedly debates the odds of survival and if it's fair if you have to go last (it is).

From what I've seen so far, the boards are the most unique thing here. There's a vertical board, a board that's just one giant long purely straight path with a free star at the end, and I guess a Monopoly-like board where you invest on spaces. I haven't seen the other ones yet, but these were all pretty unique.

The majority of the non-minigame seperately selected sidegames are 2 player, which is kinda weird, but I guess if you have 4 people, you should be playing the main game. It's a good addition for people who only have one other person to play with. The only 4 player game I had unlocked was... bowling. It's just like Wii Sports except worse, because your Mii moves through a set animation and doesn't react to your physical swing. The ball roll does, but the animation doesn't. We played a full 10 frames and will never go back.

In conclusion, this is a completely normal Mario Party. Aside from some interesting new boards, it's exactly what you'd expect. There's nothing groundbreaking or gamebreaking.

Also, I don't see why everyone wants this series to go online so badly. If you think it's boring waiting for everyone else's turn while they're in the room and you're all talking and taunting and joking, just imagine sitting by yourself watching internet people move solemnly around the board. Once in awhile you'll see a small

mariosamuss55: lol nice roll

But when four people are all crammed against each other on a couch, rapidly "shaking" their "remotes" rapidly up and down over their crotch to make their "soda" "squirt" the highest, that's the Nintendo magic.

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2007, 01:55:12 PM »
If MP went online, they could either scrap the game board entirely, make the board a huge overworld where you can encounter other players, or have one set of 4-players move around the board while the other set plays a mini-game.

MEGAߥTE

• In flames
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2007, 02:24:30 PM »
The Chef knows what I'm talking about.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2007, 05:46:31 PM »
Party games are one of those genres I dislike. A few of the Mario Parties are okay (the middle ones being my personal favorites), but it never feels satisfying to me. I have yet to play 8, but I hope to maybe rent it or play it at a friend's, since the Wii controls would make it different, at least.
every

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2007, 06:04:08 PM »
But when four people are all crammed against each other on a couch, rapidly "shaking" their "remotes" rapidly up and down over their crotch to make their "soda" "squirt" the highest, that's the Nintendo magic.

Amen, LD. Btw, you said rapidly twice.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

megamush

• Infinite member error
« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2007, 06:09:54 PM »
Mario Party 8 Has 2 new characters: Blooper and Hammer Bro

I bought it the day it came out.

IT IS AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great Gameplay fun mini games and this time instead of the usual orbs it has switched to candy.

Edit:  Removed incorrect markup. - Luigison
« Last Edit: June 01, 2007, 06:30:06 PM by Luigison »
What ever you do don't press Ctrl-W

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2007, 02:40:06 AM »
Btw, you said rapidly twice.
That's just how rapidly I shake it. My soda doesn't squirt itself.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2007, 07:49:52 AM »
Well, I don't LOVE it, but it's not the worst thing that's wandered into my Wii. *reminds self to play it later with bro*

Wi-Fi would've been nice, but that would've made it the first Wii game to have it, and I think Nintendo's waiting for a grander game to kick off the whole system (ok, ok, Pokemon Battle Revolution, but that still looks pretty cool).
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Print