Print

Author Topic: Why is wall jumping/kicking so satisfying?  (Read 40118 times)

MushroomJunkie

• He's serious
« Reply #45 on: August 25, 2008, 02:35:26 PM »
I'm a northerner and I call it ground pounding.  Anyways when I was real small I thought that Mario was a AWSOME gymnist and/or martial artist.  I actually used to be jealous of him for being so aireal and having such awsome reflexes! (no, I did not take drugs back then).
Probably likes Sonic games better than anyone else on the fungi forums.

« Reply #46 on: August 25, 2008, 03:24:19 PM »
Actually, if we're gonna get into a satisfaction debate, I might be tempted to go with butt-stomping... You Northerners seem to call it a "ground pound", though...

Interesting, I always have called it a ground pound and I'm a northener.

Shyguy92

• Ridicules
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2008, 03:53:10 PM »
I'm a northerner and I call it ground pounding.  Anyways when I was real small I thought that Mario was a AWSOME gymnist and/or martial artist.  I actually used to be jealous of him for being so aireal and having such awsome reflexes! (no, I did not take drugs back then).
Did you take drugs back then?
"it's always the present"

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2008, 04:30:28 PM »
Ground pound is the correct, official term. I usually just go with "pound" though.
That was a joke.

Kuromatsu

• 黒松
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2008, 04:31:43 PM »
Did you take drugs back then?
I don't think you need to ask that question, he's serious after all.

I've always known it as "Ground-Pound". "Butt-Stomp" sounds inaccurate, silly, and painful.

« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2008, 06:14:20 PM »
I don't think you need to ask that question, he's serious after all.

I've always known it as "Ground-Pound". "Butt-Stomp" sounds inaccurate, silly, and painful.

QFT 2x

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2008, 06:25:20 PM »
Ground Pound > Spin Jump > Butt Stomp > Hip Drop (seriously, hip drop? What the heck?)
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

N64 Chick

• one ticked chick
« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2008, 06:58:06 PM »
I agree. "Ground-pound" is the official term...except for in the Mario Party series where it's referred to as "Hip Drop." Not sure what the deal with that is...
Fangirling over Luigi since 1999.

« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2008, 07:03:11 PM »
I also did that.

Me too. We should start a club.. The People who were too young and ignorant to read the signs.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2008, 03:22:29 PM »
Ground Pound > Spin Jump > Butt Stomp > Hip Drop (seriously, hip drop? What the heck?)
QFT 2x
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #55 on: August 26, 2008, 04:18:41 PM »
I agree. "Ground-pound" is the official term...except for in the Mario Party series where it's referred to as "Hip Drop." Not sure what the deal with that is...

Hip Drop? Isn't Hit Drop? Well, that's what I always read it as...

« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2008, 11:54:31 AM »
"Hop brain drop" is how I heard it in Yoshi's story.
ROM hacking with a slice of life.

« Reply #57 on: August 27, 2008, 07:02:42 PM »
I always heard Bling (or Brring) Hop when playing Yoshi's Story, or even playing as Yoshi in games where he made similar sounds.
Kinopio is the ultimate video game character! Who else can drive a kart, host parties, play tennis, give good advice and items, and is almost always happy??

« Reply #58 on: August 29, 2008, 09:36:46 PM »
Hip Drop never made sense to me. Made it sound like it was a cool jivin' hip-hoppin' pound.

Brrring Hop... oh, that noise Yoshi makes when doing the Hip Drop. I just assumed those were nonsensical noises, didn't think it was English. Wish Yoshi wouldn't hum so much.

*looks up a hip drop* I know that's not it, Yoshi has never done belly-dancing before. That I know of. Someone totally has to draw a picture of Yoshi belly-dancing. Maybe. I'll shut up now.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2008, 09:38:38 PM by penguinwizard »
You didn't say wot wot.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #59 on: August 29, 2008, 09:59:26 PM »
I can think of a few Nintendo characters I wouldn't mind seeing bellydancing... just not Yoshi.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Print