Print

Author Topic: Don't digg this... 1337  (Read 5906 times)

Luigison

• Old Person™
« on: November 15, 2008, 06:20:16 PM »
Haha.  I just checked a digg page I'd commented on and saw the attached...

http://digg.com/gaming_news/The_25_Best_First_Levels_of_All_Time
“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 06:59:19 PM »
Haha, cool.

Regarding the article, the choices were a bit too based on nostalgia. The first levels of the main Marios, Sonic, Zeldas, and Metroid? Really? They confused "best first level" with "start of awesome games".

Here's the real top 2 best first levels ever:

#2  God of War   

#1  God of War II

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 07:16:28 PM »
Rong.

#2 - Half-Life
#1 - Half-Life 2
every

MaxVance

• Vance Vance Revolution
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 07:31:28 PM »
So is this thread about Digg, the GameDaily article, our favorite first levels in games, or just about what happened when you viewed that page?
Remember that your first Goomba boldly you walk? When Mario touched that mushroom being brought up more largely remember that you are surprised? Miscalculate your jump that pit remember that it falls?

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 08:09:56 PM »
Super Mario Bros. should have been

ROM hacking with a slice of life.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 10:32:16 PM »
I don't get it... (and why are our opinions on the best first levels spoilers?)

Also, LameDaily.
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Suffix

• Steamed
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 11:13:07 PM »
Rong.

#2 - Half-Life
#1 - Half-Life 2

The first chapter of HL1 was cool, but the first chapter of HL2 was weird and confusing. Surely there are better first levels/chapters out there. I'd vote for HL1 as best introduction.

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 11:36:33 PM »
I dunno. I really liked the feel of the first chapter of HL2. I mean, I didn't really understand it the first time I played it... it wasn't too significant, I guess. But I thought it felt really cool and I enjoyed it a lot.

I don't know so much about BioShock's first level being the second best of all time, but I would definitely argue that BioShock as a whole is the second best game of all time.

SolidShroom

• Poop Man
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 02:02:08 AM »
MGS 2 maybe because it let you use Solid Snake?

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 06:41:39 AM »
I don't see how you can look yourself in the mirror and call the tram ride the best "level". It was a very significant thing in the growth of FPS storytelling, but if you think it beats either God of War you're nuts.

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 07:31:17 AM »
#1 Kingdom Hearts
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 07:53:23 AM »

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 08:34:26 AM »
I don't see how you can look yourself in the mirror and call the tram ride the best "level". It was a very significant thing in the growth of FPS storytelling, but if you think it beats either God of War you're nuts.

Not the tram ride, the whole game up to and including the resonance cascade sequence. Yes, I think that's technically two or three "chapters", but seeing as how they're all continuously connected and the game doesn't have any "levels"....yeah.
every

WarpRattler

• Paid by the word
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 10:04:10 AM »
#1 Kingdom Hearts

Not even close. I mean, sure, both of the PS2 games have decent introductory levels, but at the end, they're almost exactly the same, and neither of them are as good as other games...as in, "at least two-thirds of the like 80 games I just looked at have better introductory levels".

The number one introductory level is obviously    God of War II.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 10:27:07 AM »
I've only seen the intro level from God of War 1, but ... what makes it so great? You're just attacking stuff on a boat.
That was a joke.

Print