Print

Author Topic: Oldschool Mario Appreciation Thread!  (Read 5321 times)

« on: August 04, 2005, 02:07:01 PM »
Okay, the mission of this thread is pretty simple: we talk about some of the NES/SNES Mario-based games and why we like them.  And why we dislike Mario is Missing.

Question #1: Did you, or didn't you like Mario is Missing?  Why or why not?

Well, I hated it because it is a learning game...that's just not Mario's style.  Grabbing super mushrooms, flying with capes, and throwing koopa shells is what I call classic.  So what does everyone else think?

Koopaslaya

• Kansas
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 02:47:15 PM »
I hate MArio is missing, and feel like tellling the whole world. That's why I'm here, after all...
Εὐθύνατε τὴν ὁδὸν Κυρίου

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 02:54:46 PM »
^Really I wanted to say something about Waluigi's name.

It''s like I''ve died and gone to heaven but they found out it wasn''t my time so they sent me back to a brewery~Peter Griffin
OH SNAP, It's White Arrow!

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 03:13:14 PM »
This thread reminds me to say that I love the current Nintendo demo disc loading screen.

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2005, 04:31:26 PM »
It's funny, Mario is Missing LOOKED like it would be awesome.
It actually amuses me to play a while, but the entire game is way too long.
I dunno about "oldschool" Mario. I love the older games, but they keep getting better.

"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."
"At Dukar, we place our emphasis on serving you, supporting
you, and helping you be as successful as possible."

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2005, 05:16:56 PM »
I thought Mario is Missing would be cool...I was disappointed.

Anyway, about our favorite old games:  I'd have to say the Super Mario Bros. Trilogy was awesome, and so were Super Mario Worlds one and two.  Although I didn't like Dr. Mario too much, it was a heck of a lot better than Tetris...

By the way, White_Arrow, what did you want to say about Waluigi?

Deezer

• Invincible
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2005, 05:20:05 PM »
I appreciate oldschool Mario.

« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2005, 05:29:26 PM »
Old school Mario...no old school Nintendo in general pwns.  They just don't make games like they used to.  I really don't like the new games that much, I prefer my classics...after all, they are unbeatable.

Luigison

• Old Person™
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2005, 08:25:25 PM »
Lizard Dude, what's on the load screen.

In many ways I like the old better than the new.

Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 is my favorite GBA game.  Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga and The Legend of Zelda: Minish Cap are new old school games I like.  I also like 9-volt's micro games in WarioWare.

The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventure is one of my favorite GCN games.  I very much like the 2D SMB styled Bowser levels in Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door.

My favorite "game" ever is Super Mario Allstars + Super Mario World for the SNES.

My most anticipated game is New Super Mario Bros. DS.

I'd probably buy a Revolution for the old school games alone.  Nintendo is making a great move with the classic downloads.  I hope they make more 2D old school styled games.

“Evolution has shaped us with perceptions that allow us to survive. But part of that involves hiding from us the stuff we don’t need to know."

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2005, 10:13:21 PM »
When I saw Mario is Missing, I thought, "Yes, a game all about Luigi!" I was stupid enough to buy it, and I haven't played it since. Man......I needed that 4 bucks to buy crackers!

"YOU FOOOOOLS!!! YOU''VE MESSED WITH THE NATURAL ORDAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!" ~ The story telling crow from The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy

Edited by - PaperLuigi on 8/5/2005 12:36:54 PM
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

Markio

• Normal
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2005, 10:40:20 PM »
I hope they keep making games for the GBA and GC, because I can't afford a Revolution... unless I spend all my money... and if it only costs a little less than $100.
  I like all the games for Super Mario All Stars, because I own and like each game, separately.  I've never played SMW2, but it's probably really great.  I mean, YOSHI!  Hel-LO!  Can it possibly be bad?
  Then next game I want is actually not Mario-related, and it was released October 2004.  I hope it's like the GC/PS2/XBox version...  Besides, that, I might want Paper Mario 2, but I'm not that fond of RPGs, minus Pokemon, I guess.  I'd rather get the next big Mario game for the GC, I HOPE it's SM128.  If not, something.

“I’m wearing my anti-gravity pants!” –NE89
"Hello Kitty is cool, but I like Keroppi the best."

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2005, 09:49:27 AM »
here is old school, appreciate it!

It''s like I''ve died and gone to heaven but they found out it wasn''t my time so they sent me back to a brewery~Peter Griffin

Edited by - white_arrow on 8/5/2005 8:49:44 AM

OH SNAP, It's White Arrow!

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2005, 10:07:48 AM »
Why does everybody hate Mario is Missing? It was cool! So was Mario's Time Machine! Yes, they were corny and dumb, but they had this quaint charm to them. Plus, any learning game for the NES that has cheat codes HAS to be cool. Seriously, learning game? On the NES? With cheat codes that essentially let you skip the learning? Cool.

-------------------------------------
"We get signal. Somebody set up us the bomb!" "What you say!" "All your base are belong to us!"
-Last Alert (PS1)
every

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2005, 05:27:44 PM »
...You just said that Mario is Missing is cool and dumb at the same time.

...I'll probably never forget SMB 3...the cool items, the map, the action in general.  And SMB2 was cool, too (Although I liked DDP's storyline a little better).  In general, Mario games are great...and I have yet to beat the SMB trilogy.

Jman

• Score
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2005, 09:49:23 PM »
I agree in full with Toddathon, man.  If he hadn't said it, I would have uttered those exact words.

KISS?  What does that stand for, Koopas in short shorts?  *Shudders*
I always figured "Time to tip the scales" was Wario's everyday motto.

Print