Print

Author Topic: A Compelling Article  (Read 25763 times)

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« on: August 15, 2008, 01:50:16 PM »
"Mario is your oyster." ~The Chef

Turtlekid1

• Tortuga
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 02:00:11 PM »
Yes, it's true that if you focus on the negative, you'll only see the negative, but some of those reasons focus on the positive and only the positive and were stretched at points (In fact, some of them were outright weak).
"It'll say life is sacred and so is death
but death is life and so we move on"

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2008, 02:05:57 PM »
#4 has pretty much nothing to do with anything
#8 has nothing to do with anything but does make me think "yes, cool"
#10 suffers the fate of #4

I don't really know what "loyal" is supposed to mean either.
That was a joke.

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2008, 02:07:45 PM »
#8 is the truth. Reggie is the only thing keeping this country together. One of these days, Reggie's going to be called out of retirement to combat this, like, zombie threat, or aliens, and, like...yeah.
every

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2008, 02:11:04 PM »
If staying loyal to Nintendo means "worshiping everything that comes out of their company without question like PS3 and X-Box fanboys" than these ten reasons won't even begin to sway me. If it means "focusing on the bright side and not losing hope," then they have a good point.

I'm hoping that by the middle of next year, we'll have seen a lot of great new releases. We already know about Pikmin 3 for sure, and there's rumors of a new Kid Icarus game and Mario Galaxy sequel - plus I'm sure there's more great stuff headed our way in the future. Also, this article was dead-on about the 3rd party titles. People that say that the Wii has nothing good outside of official Nintendo titles need to pay more attention. :P
What is a mystery? Just go inside my head, and you'll find out.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 02:22:58 PM »
Third parties have been publishing as good as or better stuff for Nintendo's systems than Nintendo has for a while now.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2008, 02:26:54 PM »
Yeah, pretty much (but quite a few of those are ports and spin-offs from games on other consoles, mind you).

I don't really know what "loyal" is supposed to mean either.
Not throw your Wii out a window, I guess.

As for me--and I know the last thing everyone wants to hear on this thread is my opinion--the only reason I'm still "loyal" to Nintendo (as in, I've yet to buy a non-Nintendo console) is because there's a vicious cycle to be started there. I guess... well, here's an example: Let's say there's a town with a somewhat notorious population of drug-addicts. Now, some non-druggies might say "Man, I don't want to live in a town that's almost all crackheads. I'm moving!" So those people move to another town where they live fairly happily. Other people, either because they have the same mindset or heard about the group that moved, may be inspired to do the same, all thinking "yeah, I'm going somewhere where there's not so many druggies!" The thing is, the druggies were actually far outnumbered by the "cleaner" citizens, but the more people that moved away, the larger the population of the former became in relation to the latter until, eventually, the town really was almost entirely druggies. A few people's needs for immediate satisfaction turned into a gradual exodus that transformed their former home into the very thing they thought they were escaping from.

It's basically similar with Nintendo. If a lot of gamers say, "man, eff this casual junk; I'm switching over to Microsoft and/or Sony", the number of non-gamers who play the Wii will become dominant, thereby justifying all the more the large amount of cheap and/or simplistic games we see on the Wii/DS. So, this may sound weird coming from me, but if you think that things are bad on the Wii now, imagine how much worse they'll get if more and more gamers abandon the system. If we just stick with Nintendo, ignore all the insubstantial, flash-in-the-pan bilge, and tell them with our wallets that we're here to stay, they and other publishers/developers will get the message. Everyone who sells their Wii on eBay and picks up a PS3... just think about the effect that's having on those of us still sticking with the most unique (for better or for worse) videogame company out there.

Chupperson Weird

• Not interested.
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2008, 04:03:34 PM »
I'm all in favor of ports of old games as long as they're good. Especially if they're competent ports of console games to portables.
Your allegory fails because there is nothing wrong with other consoles. They have good games too.
That was a joke.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 04:44:50 PM »
Your allegory fails because there is nothing wrong with other consoles. They have good games too.
When did I ever allude to that?

BP

• Beside Pacific
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 05:36:59 PM »
I hate Reggie.

But I love Brawl. And I have faith that in time, the games I want (still primarily F-Zero for Wii* and Gold/Silver remakes for DS) will come. I'm dying for those, but until then, big deal. I've got other games, the fan translation for MOTHER 3 is almost done, and there are loads of games I've never played and just need to get around to. And I agree with #6. I know I don't appreciate Super Mario Galaxy as much as I should. But one day I'll get a strong urge to play the heck out of it again.

I'm with Chup, too. "Loyal" to Nintendo isn't what I am. I just buy and play their games. If I had a 360, I'd find some games I like and play them. Though, the 360 leans more on online play, and I have a pretty sucky connection.

*There are rumors that Capcom is currently taking care of that one.
All your dreeeeeeams begiiin to shatterrrrrr~
It's YOUR problem!

CrossEyed7

• i can make this whatever i want; you're not my dad
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 07:02:26 PM »
1: Very yes. Somewhat related to Iwata mentioning that all the planned peripherals are out now; with the exception of Wii Music, everyone in Nintendo is working on the next wave of big name games. Pikmin 3 and Animal Crossing are coming before too long, Galaxy 2 and Zelda 15 are all but confirmed, New Super Mario Bros. 2 and Kid Icarus are very likely.

2: Sounds good. Mario needs more 2D games. Sonic got five new 2D platformers in the time it took Mario to get one, and every one of them has been great.

3: WLS (or WL:SI or WL:TSD) is shaping up to be the most underrated game of all time. Great level design, some of the most beautiful hand-drawn graphics a game has ever had, and most people are going to overlook it because it's a $50 sidescroller. Well dangit, it's worth $50.

4: Actually, that does have something to do with anything. A 55-year-old man who comes out on stage dressed like that, swinging a sword from a video game and grinning from ear to ear, is a man who knows how to have fun and doesn't care how goofy that fun looks, and only a company that would hire a guy like that could have made the Wii.

5: Hope so.

6: Excite Truck is a very good game.

7: Could go either way.

8: Meh. He's been way too focused on the taking names part lately, particularly when those names are then inserted into a buttload of charts along with some big numbers. They were entitled to some gloating at E3 2007, but it's time to get over it. Also, he hates Earthbound.

9: Right. That reminds me, I still need to finish TP.

10: I liked Chicken Run.

He never said that the other towns people were moving to weren't good, he said that because they left, the original town got worse. The quality of the other towns never enters into the equation except that they are perceived as better by the people moving out. He did say that the other consoles are less unique than the Wii, but that's pretty hard to deny, and uniqueness doesn't necessarily imply betterness or worseness, and that wasn't part of the allegory anyway. So I really don't know what you're on about here.
"Oh man, I wish being a part of a Mario fan community was the most embarrassing thing about my life." - Super-Jesse

Glorb

• Banned
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 07:19:07 PM »
Anyone who is actually "loyal" to a company like Nintendo, Sony, or Microsoft is a sucker. They're publishers. That's like being loyal to Universal Studios over Paramount. Furthermore, being "loyal" to a system is also dumb. Did anyone here take sides during the Beta/VHS or HD-DVD/Blu-Ray wars? If so, was it because you liked the company that made your format of choice?

The only factors that influence my purchase of a game are:

1) Do I own the system it is designed to run on?
2) Do its various features appeal to me?
3) Have I heard good things about it in the press/from friends?
4) Can I afford it? If so, is it a good value given its quality and feature set?

Not once do I stop and think, "Is it made by a company I have pledged to give all my money to?"
every

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 08:11:26 PM »
Wow, they had me at #3. Wario Land looks like a lot of fun.
Luigison: Question everything!
Me: Why?

The Chef

• Super
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 08:23:31 PM »
Any so-called "article" that's actually a list of things shouldn't be considered compelling in the slightest.

ShadowBrain

• Ridiculously relevant
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2008, 09:19:28 PM »
Well, what I meant by that is that Nintendo's new direction is a hot topic.

Print